Infused alcohol - infusing vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
For those of you with experience infusing your own liqueurs/liquors, I have a question for you: what type of container do you use? I found a book at the local library on infusing alcohol and it said one of the most important things was to make sure there is not any leftover air in the container while it's infusing or else there could be further fermentation of fruits, etc. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of container to use? If links are available for purchasing, that would be great. Also ... approximately what size do you use? I know it would depend on how much you are infusing... but for a typical use, say, to infuse a standard (750 ml) bottle of something.

Thanks!

(I'm looking forward to trying this on a rhubarb liqueur recipe I came across)

I've used pint and quart mason jars, as well as glass sun tea jars for my raspberry cordial. As long as the container is clean and sterilized, I think it should be good to go.

Would be interested in your rhubarb liqueur recipe!

Last edited:
If you are using distilled alcohol or even fortified wine, the alcohol should be strong enough to kill any yeasties and prevent the fruit from fermenting. Of course well washed, clean fruit and sterilized jars are important.

Generally speaking, (I have no experience with infusing), a straight-sided jar/container will more easily allow trapped air to escape. Also easier to get stuff into such a container.

Just a secondary curious question... when you say a "sterilized" container, does that mean that thorough washing with soap is not sufficient? What is considered "sterilized?"

If you are using distilled alcohol or even fortified wine, the alcohol should be strong enough to kill any yeasties and prevent the fruit from fermenting. Of course well washed, clean fruit and sterilized jars are important.
Me three. Alcohol is a disinfectant, particulary when you get into the 50%-70% area.

Generally speaking, (I have no experience with infusing), a straight-sided jar/container will more easily allow trapped air to escape. Also easier to get stuff into such a container.
Maybe better a small mouth jar where the fluid-atmosphere interface is reduced in area.

Soap and water will work.

My cordial recipe calls for unwashed wild raspberries. I do check for bugs! I fill it almost to the top, and have used both regular and wide mouth jars.

Last edited:
We use a gallon glass jar. Since the lemon zest is going into grain alcohol, not much chance of nastys growing, so just a good soap and hot water wash is needed.

Just wanted to provide a brief update that I found some good jars with a clamp style lid (Sur La Table) and it worked great. I made the rhubarb liqueur, Rhubarb Liqueur Recipe | MyRecipes.com, and it's very good! The recipe specified Grand Marnier, which I do not think I would do again, since it's such a premium product and its subtleties get lost after its soaked with vodka and rhubarb for 3 weeks (I think any standard triple sec would be fine).

Back
Top Bottom