"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
opps...sorry.... I don't have a recipe off hand.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Head Chef

I looked through what I have here at home and I do not have the actual recipe we used to make the Kahlua ... I have the recipes for what to do after we made it though! Like I said, it seems as thought it was similiar to what you have posted, minus the mace and cocoa.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Here's the recipe I use:

2 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup instant coffee granules
1/2 vanilla bean, slit open, scraped and chopped
1 1/2 cups vodka

Combine water and sugar and cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Stir in instant coffee. In a pitcher or bowl mix the vodka and vanilla bean together. Add coffee mixture. Place "kahlua" mixture in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously every day for 3 weeks. At the end of 3 weeks, strain liqueur through a coffee filter and store in a clean bottle or jar with tight-fitting lid.

If you want to make Tia Maria, substitute rum for the vodka.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
...If you want to make Tia Marie, substitute rum for the vodka.
Ohhh! I'll have to try that! We are always looking for new liquors to make as gifts.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I didn't mean to sound upset, was trying to make it obvious the responses went the wrong way to hopefully stimulate the answers I was looking for (before it hit more than a page in, since most people read the first page only before replying).

As per my recipe, haven't tried it yet (waiting on payday). Its a mish-mash of different recipes that I've found.

As per the two links provided, if you dig, eHow has about 10 different recipes, and I found many more elsewhere. I wasn't joking or overstating when I said it didn't take me long to find about 100 different recipes on how to make kahlua-like liquor.

As per the advice on the instant coffee, I've seen many places where people have advised against it, that British coffee or espresso make for better tasting final product, if used properly. Can anyone confirm this? For drinking purposes, I can stomach old, stale coffee but not instant coffee. I haven't made any of the recipes yet to see how they'd fair both ways, but I _assume_ part of the flavors that come from freeze drying would carry over.

When paycheck comes in, I'm going to get a bottle of mixer-vodka, and new filters for my Brita pitcher.

Since this is the alcohol forum, and this recipe calls for vodka, a heads up is that using a good filter does improve vodka. Its been proven in labs, homes, bars, and on Mythbusters. Run it through a Brita pitcher-filter thing 10 times and its about the same quality as the top shelf ultra-expensive vodkas. The reason is, the only thing that makes the high dollar vodkas more expensive is less contaminates (more distills/filters).
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Ok, payday finally came (big delay in payments, at least I got 3 checks at once) and I just figured something out....

If you're insisting on brewed and not instant coffee like I am (I did a very small 1 cup batch of 8 different recipes, taste tested on day 2 of aging), and you go to make a large batch, MAKE THE SYRUP AHEAD OF TIME!

Why am I saying this?

I've got my 5 gallon pot on the stove with 8 pots of coffee, 10 cups of white sugar, 10 cups of brown sugar, waiting on thread stage...

..its been at rolling boil for 2 hours and I have a long ways to go!

Additional note: I'm going to 'break open a bottle' Friday, and depending how the reception is (using friends as my taster board... they are the reason I'm making coffee liquor, since its their favorite) I'll post my overall, completed recipe. (I'll make a new thread for it)

So I'm not increasing post count, I'll just keep editing this....
4 hours, and reduced by half... its feeling thicker when I stir it, but still has a ways to go. The coffee smell has completely pervaded the house now.