Limoncella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
Can someone suggest a good brand? Mr HB is running to the store for me. :)

There will probably only be one or two types in the store anyway...I've had several different types and all were quite good.

Keep it in the freezer. Unless you are planning to cook with it, it's best ice cold.

Thank you. I've never had it before. I just printed out Giada's recipe and will try to make it soon.

Ooh, Gretchen, would you like to share? :pig:

Last edited:
Here's the recipe my dad uses (it's pretty strong)

LIMONCELLO

8 to 12 clean lemons (I used about 10 large ones)
1 quart 90% grain alcohol

Remove peel from lemons-a little pith is OK, but avoid if possible. Place peels in a large container with good closure; add grain alcohol. Leave in a cool place for a week. Gently shake container a couple times a day.

After a week:

Heat but don't boil 2 liters of water and dissolve of 3 cups sugar in it. Assure that all sugar gets dissolved. Allow to cool.

Strain lemon peels/alcohol thru gauze or strainer. Discard peels. Mix alcohol into the sugar/water. Shake container well to mix thoroughly. Let it sit for a week or two, then enjoy

Jan, I use Pallini Limoncello...of course it's the only one the store carries, but it is delightful. I use it in my sorbets instead of lemon juice.

I think most of the places I had it in Italy made their own, as did my favorite Italian restaurant here (until the owner moved to Vegas).

It was all great!

It doesn't freeze--gets slushy. Your recipe has MUCH more water and much less sugar than mine and I think it would definitely freeze solid.

Thoroughly wash 15 lemons. Zest them being as careful as possible to get no pith or it will make it bitter.
Put the zest of the lemons in a fifth of 100 proof vodka. Allow to sit in a dark place for 40 days (more about this later).
Bring 5C of water to a boil and dissolve 4C of sugar in it. Cool. Add to the vodka/zest mixture along with another fifth of 100 proof vodka. and let sit 40 days. Strain and bottle. Keep in freezer.

Now--I have done it this way, and I have done it for 10 days and 10 days. Still good. I have some I need to "harvest" now--the 40 day variety. Will report.

Thank you all very much. I've printed out the recipes.

Mr HB went to 2 liquor stores and they didn't carry any limoncella at all. Guess I'll put it on my list for tomorrow and head into the big city.

Giada makes it look so good.

It will get pretty hard in the freezer, but softens quickly when you take it out. Here's one I served to cjs last Christmas with a smidgeon of raspberry sorbet on top:

* Exported from MasterCook *
Lemon Rosemary Sorbet
Recipe By :Fine Cooking Magazine Aug/Sep '96
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts-Ices
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup fresh rosemary -- finely chopped
1 1/3 cups fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons vodka (I sub Limoncello)
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Stir until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add rosemary, cover, and let stand approximately 10 minutes or until cool.
2. Place a fine strainer over a large bowl and pour syrup mixture through (straining out the rosemary leaves). Add lemon juice and vodka to the strained syrup mixture; stir until thoroughly blended.
NOTE: The vodka (or any other type of alcohol) is the secret to a soft sorbet. Alcohol itself does not freeze and adding a little bit keeps the sorbet from doing the same. Vodka is excellent to use because it doesn't affect the taste.
ICE CREAM MAKER - Transfer mixture to ice cream maker, process according to manufacturer's instructions.
FREEZER METHOD - Pour into container, cover, and place mixture in the freezer. When it is semi-solid, mash it up with a fork and refreeze again. When frozen, place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Cover and refreeze until serving time.
NOTE: Can be prepared 3 days in advance. Cover and keep frozen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is the recipe I use for most of my sorbets.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Basic Sorbet
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts-Ices
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup simple Sugar Syrup
1 1/2 cups juice
3 tablespoons Limoncello
Mix chilled simple syrup and juice together; add Limoncello. Stir to combine and chill thoroughly. You can chill in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes but not long enough for any ice crystals to form; then stir thoroughly and pour into the running ice cream machine. It will reach the soft sorbet consistency much quicker.

Back
Top Bottom