Need Sangria Advice, ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
I am going against form and trying to be as organized as possible for a dinner party I am throwing on Saturday. One of the things I am serving is sangria. The close-out sale ($2/bottle) of sangria-worthy red wine at the local liquor store has got me making the stuff nearly every weekend now!:ROFLMAO:

My question is ... How far in advance can I make it? Can I make it tonight (Thursday) with the wine, fruit, sugar, brandy/grand marnier and then refrigerate and add the sparkling water on Saturday?

I am assuming that this would be ok, but I dont want it to taste old or tired or overmacerated or in any way B-A-D.

I have always made it the morning of a get-together and it has always been great tasting.

ANY ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!:)

Good question! I would wait til Friday night and do it then, but I have no basis for that decision. Sorry jennyema.

I was going to answer exactly the same way as Alix and I also have no basis for me answer. I know that is pretty helpful huh Jenny :-p

Just to create some extra work for you, mix the non-crbonated liquids tonight, add the fruit Friday night or Saturday AM and follow with the fizz before service.

Good advice!! As usual. THANKS!

Do you think there would be a marginal benefit from opening the wine tonight and mixing it with the other non-fizz liquid, as opposed to putting the whole thing together tomorrow night?

In other words, with a $2 bottle of wine, is a 2 day breath worth it? Too much?

I assumed you were pressed for time and trying to get stuff done ahead. That's why I suggested the breakdown as I did.

You could do it the night before. I have, and all that happens if the fruit gets red. We sometimes take out the citrus that's been in the wine from the day before and replace it with fresh fruit. That gives you the double benefit of the fruit flavor in the wine and a burst of fresh flavor to boot.

Good luck and have a great time!

Could the rind of the citrus fruits make it liquid taste bitter if left in too long? That would be my concern.

Since most of the prep is just cutting up the fruit then you could do all of that ahead of time. Then it is just a matter of putting the fruit and liquids together when you are ready and that really doesn't take any time.

I think I will do exactly what you guys suggest. Prep the fruit tonight and then swap out the discolored fruit with fresh a few hours before the party.

THANKS GUYS!!

Back
Top Bottom