"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
Head Chef

For my money the best is ten year old, Old Charter Kentucky Bourban. There are some good Tennessee Whiskeys but Charter Ten is my favorite.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Right now at 9:00 am, Green tea; DH loves his Gossling; I love Lynchburg Lemonades ; Patron isn't bad either.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #13
Head Chef

Would it be dreadful to own up to more than one?! In mitigation, I will say that I have just finished a glass of water.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
Head Chef

Most often, I prefer a white wine, especially a crisp chardonnay. My DH is like Franca's, he hates to spend over $ 10.00 a bottle .He says he just can't really tell the difference between a more expensive wine and a less (read cheaper) expensive one. I can sneak one in ocasionally, though, and he enjoys it.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Right this very moment I'm drinking rooibos tea. ;) Earlier I had a Tsingtao beer. Your "GSM" sounds lovely, kitchenelf. Red wines are my favorite, but my husband prefers to spend less than $8.00/bottle on "everyday" table wines so if I want something nicer I have to give it to him for Christmas, birthday, or manufacture an occasion, LOL. We do have some decent stuff in the cellar which tends to come out on the odd weekend. I will say, though, that the Crane Lake Sangiovese he's been buying lately is quite decent for a cheap red. Better than any of the other cheap reds he's found in a long while! We had that with lamb shanks the other night. (We're having great leftovers this week from a chicken and artichoke casserole I made Saturday and the braised lamb shanks I made on Sunday. Monday I made calamari piccata which turned out very nicely also but there were no leftovers. )

Franca - the Crane Lake Petite Syrah is very good too! I agree with you, the Sangiovese is divine for the money. How much to you pay a bottle? We sell it for $6.99 and it is by far the best value for the money. The Chard is ok, I don't like the Sauvignon Blanc or the Pinot Grigio.

I changed the title of the thread to make it more clear what it's about.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

this not-so-refined DC-er is drinking box wine right now.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I'm having warm whiskey, Jack Daniels to be exact, with honey & lemon. It feels so good on my throat!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
I'm having warm whiskey, Jack Daniels to be exact, with honey & lemon. It feels so good on my throat!
Kentucky Bourbon would be soooooooo much better

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Well, it was going to be JD, Evan Williams, or Rock & Rye. I keep R&R on hand for medicinal purposes only.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Well, it was going to be JD, Evan Williams, or Rock & Rye. I keep R&R on hand for medicinal purposes only.
Evan Williams is a Kentucky Bourbon....and some of their "top shelf" labels can be nice. I used to drink the brand many years ago. In fact I think I have a bottle somewhere in my "bunker" but never pour any of it..as I prefer other brands now.

Cheers....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote