What's in Your Eggnog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VeraBlue said:
I'll bet you a dollar you cannot keep it closed..:brows:

Even with the 5 OTHER bourbons I have in the house?? :-p

After all, I've had a distillers select bottle of Woodroof Reserve at the house unopened since 2002. The Booker's could easily go a while without being opened. :angel: :huh: :angel:

John

BTW - Does eggnog go with fruitcake?

ronjohn55 said:
Even with the 5 OTHER bourbons I have in the house?? :-p

After all, I've had a distillers select bottle of Woodroof Reserve at the house unopened since 2002. The Booker's could easily go a while without being opened. :angel: :huh: :angel:

John

BTW - Does eggnog go with fruitcake?

Everything goes with eggnog at this time of year.

I ran out of creamer this morning ... so I put eggnog in my coffee. Not too bad.

SizzlininIN said:
In all my 40 years I still have yet to taste this stuff..............maybe this will be the year.
Me neither in all my ** years :) It's not a drink that we Aussies partake in, don't know why, we drink pretty well everything else.

Well, apparently Sheila found a recipe for egg nog cookies today. So we'll have to see if it goes with those, too!

I know the bourbon probably would.

John

Harborwitch said:
We discovered last year that Maker's Mark is the thing for egg nog!

I must thank my highly civilized friend Harborwitch for this idea. MM is one of my favorite bottles, and this is a superior use for it.

Thank you Mudbug! We must be of a kindred spirt!:LOL: I've got my name, along with a bunch of others, on a barrel - perk of being an "Ambassador". :cool::cool: I must promote my favorite bourbon unrelentingly!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was thinknig about making egg nog cos we don't drink it here and i want to try it :)

Ok i found a raw egg recipe and im going to give PBear42's cooked egg one a shot (so whats the deal with the raw egg? to drink or not to drink?)

can u put baileys irish cream in there by any chance? we normally drink scotch so not sure how that would go in there. We have Baccardi rum (clear one) would that do?

im really curious as to how this "egg nog" tastes lol

thx

The problems with raw eggs are related to possible salmonella poisoning. I'm not sure if eggs from australia are subject to that possibility. Personally, if the eggs come for a reputable distributor and all those who would be drinking it are in good health with healthy immune systems, I'd opt for the raw eggs as equally as I would cooked eggs.

I have added rum, scotch, whiskey, bourbon, and vodka to the finished product. I wouldn't do the Bailey's because it has a flavour I wouldn't want to add to the flavour of the nutmeg/egg. Bailey's can do just fine on it's own.

Don't know about Australia, but this would be an extremely unusual time of year, here in the states, for drinking egg nog.

VeraBlue said:
Don't know about Australia, but this would be an extremely unusual time of year, here in the states, for drinking egg nog.

Well, I think it's still "winter" down under...

And VB, that bourbon still hasn't been opened. :-p

John

Rom said:
I was thinknig about making egg nog cos we don't drink it here and i want to try it :)

Ok i found a raw egg recipe and im going to give PBear42's cooked egg one a shot (so whats the deal with the raw egg? to drink or not to drink?)

can u put baileys irish cream in there by any chance? we normally drink scotch so not sure how that would go in there. We have Baccardi rum (clear one) would that do?

im really curious as to how this "egg nog" tastes lol

thx
I have never made eggnog with cooked eggs. The only cooked ones I've ever had are the ones that come in cartons from the grocery store, and I don't consider them "real" eggnogs. :ermm:

I like Scotch, but have never used it in eggnog, and not sure I'd recommend it. Bailey's would be good, why not? Rum is one of the traditional liquors, but I think most folks use dark. Don't know why the light wouldn't be okay, tho.

I prefer Cognac or Bourbon in mine... :D

ronjohn55 said:
Well, I think it's still "winter" down under...

And VB, that bourbon still hasn't been opened. :-p

John

I'll cook you any dinner you like if you bring me that bourbon....:blink:

Might be a strange time to do it but, i just want to taste it LOL and yes it is winter down here, altho today it looks like spring lol we have a lot of diff alcohols i might try the rum i have see how that goes :) i have bourbon but hmm not a smokey flavoured kinda gal.

if you make a raw eggnog would the eggs have to be cold or room temperature?

we don't have eggnog here so i'll pretend its a good time of year to have it? I thought people served it cold as well?

thanks for everyones reply!

Yes, Rom, do drink it cold! Actually, after you make it, set it in the cooler for a few hours for the flavours to mingle a bit. The reason I suggested it's odd this time of year because it's so hot, here (it's a very heavy drink, hard to handle on a hot day). Plus, it's usually associated with Christmas.

When you cook anything, or prepare anything, it's always best to work with eggs at room temperature, but since this is meant to be served cold, I don't think it matters if you work with eggs right out of the cooler. Make it in the morning, and enjoy it in the evening. Sprinkle a bit of nutmeg on top, too.

Don't forget to post how you liked it, too!

ronjon55 said:
maybe VB just found a new business opportunity!

Ya know, open a restaurant. Bring in a bottle of booze/wine and it's dinner for two. The booze could be converted to mega bucks at the bar. A cheap bottle of wine would get ya a couple of burgers & fries, and well you get the idea:LOL:

Have fun & Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom