White Russians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Does anyone know how to make these? I am hosting a dinner for friends who are traveling to Russia in a few weeks and we are serving Russian (sort of) food and I thought this would be a great dring to go with the lbline and caviar appetizer.
thanks

This is how I make it (I've never checked to see how near it is to the original as I learned to make them many, many years ago when I was working at a hotel bar as a barmaid!)

In a cocktail shaker mix

2 parts good vodka
1 part any coffee flavoured liquer (eg Tia Maria)
1 part single cream (thin, pouring cream)
Small amount of crushed ice

Shake well and then pour into either cocktail glasses or highball glasses. Some of my friends like this over ice cubes.

A 'Black Russian' is the above omitting the cream.

Oh, does this ever bring back memories. (Or the lack thereof.)

I remember drinking a Black Russian at a party when I was in college. The next thing I remembered was waking up aboard a yacht in Lake Dallas with the sun coming up.
So be careful...the Russians pack a big punch!

mrsmac said:
A black russian is the same but the mixer is Coke.
Oh that sounds interesting. I will have to try it. Here a Black Russian is a White Russian minus the milk or cream (Just Kahlua and Vodka).

I agree with corazon, 1 part of each vodka/kahlua and then generally 2 parts milk/half-n-half for beginners. More accustomed drinkers may want less dairy :P.

Also as someone said a black russian is the same minus the dairy, coke never makes a presence as some blasphemer suggested!!!

Additionally, the most traditional (and best) appetizer to go with caviar is a good vodka. I'm talking a quality imported vodka here, you will never suspect your drinking the same drink when you taste a good quality russian vodka compared to a domestic version. Serve it straight, chilled in chilled shot glasses, for people to sip as they dine.

Last edited:
Haggis
You're right about the vodka - which is why I stipulated 'good' vodka in my recipe!

I would never use anything but a Russian or Polish vodka - we have one here in the UK - or used to.... can't say I recall seeing it on supermarket shelves recently - it was called something like Vladivar. The slogan used on TV ads was 'the Vodka from Vorrington (Warrington!)

Last edited:
I forgot to specify that with caviar the vodka is served straight.

I think my favourite vodka based drink would still have to be a moscow mule, they go great on a summers day.

I know about the vodka being the best, but some of my friends might end up with thir faces in their plates. Too messy. How do you make a Moscow Mule?

Thanks everyone.

Get yourself a highball glass, or any tall glass, throw a bit of ice in it. Pour a shot (30-45ml, your preference) of vodka over the ice, pour 15-30ml of lime juice (once again, your preference) then top up with ginger beer (I'm refering to non-alcoholic ginger beer, and the ginger beer works much better than that see through ginger ale stuff).

Mmm refreshing.

Back
Top Bottom