Who Likes Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Hefweizen is superb with a slice of lemon.

I will never understand why you Amis drink this... :cool:
A Hefeweizen is just real without lemon.. if you like a variation try it with banana juice..

and to the american Icon:
the Budweiser was brought to the USA from the bohemian region of czech..
well, okay, that was long ago, but I prefer the "real" Budweiser, that tastes like beer.. :-p

I don't use a bank. I don't care who owns them. I care about a company that has been part of American history for over 100 years.

I never once argued that they weren't part of American history.

All that has happened is still rumor. The reason they "agreed" to the buyout was because a truly hostile take over, which was happening, would have destroyed the entire company.

Not rumor. The front page of their website has a link to a press release announcing the deal. And "destroy the company" is likely a fair overstatement. http://www.anheuser-busch.com/Press/PressImages/FINAL PRESS RELEASE.pdf

My opinion of A-B (as you call it) has little to do with their beer and more for what they've done in regards to helping build this country and other things they do. They own Sea World and are a world leader in conservation. Did you know that?

As a matter of fact I did. I did a major case analysis on the company a few years back for a corporate finance class. The theme parks were actually an area of the business that was likely to be sold off. Quite possibly even more so now. Questions swirl in Va. over Anheuser-Busch buyout.

As I've stated in other posts, I happen to hold the brewers at Anheuser Busch (The actual company name, hence, the A-B moniker) in the highest regard. That doesn't change the fact that a large chunk of their part in American history involves them doing to regional breweries what Wal-Mart is now routinely condemned for doing to small retailers. Running them out of business. This is why they are despised by many in the craft brew community.

I'm a redneck. Beer snobs can go to their microbreweries, I have no place for them in my real world circle of friends.

I fail to see the relevance of this last part to any discussion about the sale of the company.

I never once argued that they weren't part of American history.
That reply was not directed to you. I was replying to a different poster, not you.

Not rumor. The front page of their website has a link to a press release announcing the deal. And "destroy the company" is likely a fair overstatement. http://www.anheuser-busch.com/Press/PressImages/FINAL%20PRESS%20RELEASE.pdf
Press release aka Glossed over version of the truth.

As a matter of fact I did. I did a major case analysis on the company a few years back

Good for you. Not everyone knows about their conservation efforts and since it's my sole reason for liking the company, it's also my major concern over a foreign entity buying Anheuser Busch.

As I've stated in other posts, I happen to hold the brewers at Anheuser Busch (The actual company name, hence, the A-B moniker) in the highest regard. That doesn't change the fact that a large chunk of their part in American history involves them doing to regional breweries what Wal-Mart is now routinely condemned for doing to small retailers. Running them out of business. This is why they are despised by many in the craft brew community.
You assume that means everyone hates Walmart (no longer spelled Wal-Mart by the company) by using Walmart as an example. My opinion of Anheuser Busch is the same as that of Walmart, they gave Americans jobs when other companies couldn't employ the mass number of people they could/do. Now some foreign company is coming in with false promises and will eventually be responsible for the loss of jobs in this country.

I fail to see the relevance of this last part to any discussion about the sale of the company.
You're the one who brought up beer snobs. I was pointing out that I don't like those people.

A few more details on the transaction. The long and the short of it (as someone who was following this with a degree of interest) is that Anheuser's board pretty much got what they wanted. When the initial offer came in, they never said they weren't for sale. They said it was too low (Corporations use the term "undervalued", I think it makes them feel fancier). :mrgreen:

The new offer gave them a price they felt was fair, and they sold out.
Anheuser, InBev Reach A Deal for $52 Billion - WSJ.com

A few more details on the transaction. The long and the short of it (as someone who was following this with a degree of interest) is that Anheuser's board pretty much got what they wanted. When the initial offer came in, they never said they weren't for sale. They said it was too low (Corporations use the term "undervalued", I think it makes them feel fancier). :mrgreen:

Anheuser, InBev Reach A Deal for $52 Billion - WSJ.com
Obviously this is about perception as I am not reading it in the sunshine and light way you are. I live by working with semantics. I see so many in that story.

Obviously this is about perception as I am not reading it in the sunshine and light way you are. I live by working with semantics. I see so many in that story.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I'm neither happy or sad about this.

The article has the details of the financial accord. All I added was that A-B's board never said "We're not for sale" when they got the first offer. They said it undervalued the company. They got a higher offer and agreed to terms. That's a fairly normal negotiation and was what I expected to see happen after the initial posturing.

I had no horse in this race. I do not and did not own any stock in either company. I see it as a business deal and merger. No more, no less. The only reason I watched this one over something like Delta/Northwest was that I'm far more interested in the end product. Truth be told, the airline merger will have a much larger effect on me because of it's impact in my area.

You have consistently said, implied, inferred, stated, that Anheuser-Busch wanted this and that's not the whole truth. The article posted is business spin. You read it one way, I read it another. That's what I'm talking about. I'm vested in the company and am not happy at all about the hostile take over by a foreign company of an American icon.

I hope they keep up the theme parks .. Busch Gardens is a great place ..
i can switch swill if i need to ...

You have consistently said, implied, inferred, stated, that Anheuser-Busch wanted this and that's not the whole truth. The article posted is business spin. You read it one way, I read it another. That's what I'm talking about. I'm vested in the company and am not happy at all about the hostile take over by a foreign company of an American icon.

I know how you feel being both a Labatt and Molson fan. Both absolutely iconic Canadian beer companies. Now just iconic "a little Canadian" companies.

Hey folks!

I'm a late-comer to this thread, but I LOVE beer. Spent the first half of my life despising it, and I'll spend the rest of my life relishing it.

My favorite brewery is Unibrou out of Canada. They have a great variety of exceptional beers across the whole spectrum. If you like a refreshing white ale, summery wheat beer, tasty amber-red, or fortifying dark ale, Unibrou has something for you. I could write a page on each offering, but my favorite is "La Fin Du Monde" (End of the World). Malty-spicy-fruity goodness ringing in at punishing 9%.

Another brewer I'm fond of us New Belgium, out of Colorado. They've got a growing list of beers, but are best known for Fat Tire, a beautiful amber. Seems everyone has a story about their first Fat Tire experience.

Other beers I've been known to enjoy...
Julius Echter
Franziskaner Weiss
Hoegarrden
Red Stripe
Imperial (PURA VIDA!)
Molson Canadian
Labatt Blue
Guiness (provided I chew it enough)
HeBrew Jewbillation Ale

They're also gong to have control of the Budweiser brand too and it will still be in St. Louis too.

I didn't like it all that much before until I tried Bud Light Lime. I'm hooked!

If you like Bud Light and want to "graduate" into the wide world of beer, start trying some wheat beers like Julius Echter, Franziskaner Weiss, or Hoegarrden. They have a bigger flavor, but not as abrupt as the darker range.

Callisto,

I'm going to say this, pack up my things, and I'm out of here.

I *NEVER* said, implied, or inferred that Anheuser Busch wanted this. What I said was "A-B's board never said 'We're not for sale' when the first offer came in". This is a very different statement.

As for whether or not Anheuser Busch truly "wanted" this? That's a debate for another forum altogether. One could argue that the distribution agreements from earlier this year could have been an indicator of something, but I do not know.

You say you're vested in the company. I'm sure it's an unsettling time for you. Working in the auto industry in Michigan, I can surely relate to uncertainty. However, you seem to be h-e-l-l bent on painting me as someone who's happy to see this happen. Frankly, as I said I am neither happy or sad. I was simply an interested onlooker.

As for "business spin", the numbers for the offer are what they are. They'll be reflected in SEC filings and paid to shareholders. You are very welcome to your opinions, however.

I'm out.

ronjohn I would love to know where you are reading that I said you were happy about this. I have not said such a thing. What I have said is there for all to read and it doesn't include anything about you being happy. I have expressed MY feelings, not judged others. I have stated we read two different things in the press releases, how does that equate to me saying you're happy?

There was much of this deal that wasn't publicized. There was much that went on that people don't know, that's why I state that the press releases are business spin designed to not panic stockholders. They are the "it'll be okay, it won't hurt" you tell your child just before he gets a shot you know dang well is going to hurt. You have to say it, but they don't have to believe it.

That's what I'm saying that I don't believe the press release at face value. I have never once said anything about your "feelings" regarding the subject.

BUD LIGHT LIME: Would it have the same taste if you just squeeze lime in it? Or does the whole shebang need to be processed including the lime, with it to make it taste so good? Maybe my suggestion will be similar to have beer with tomato sauce with it, in it...???:ermm:

BUD LIGHT LIME: Would it have the same taste if you just squeeze lime in it? Or does the whole shebang need to be processed including the lime, with it to make it taste so good? Maybe my suggestion will be similar to have beer with tomato sauce with it, in it...???:ermm:

Actually I just saw beer in the store the other day that has Clamato juice in it, not sure which brand it was:ermm:

Hey you guys!! I was getting interested in learning what beers you all liked. How did we get off that subject and on to analyzing the Bud takeover??? :ermm:

I love beer. I used to drink Guinness like water but I've been staying away from it lately.Full Sail

Why would you dis the GUINESS!! Ive living in Peru the last six months and apart from Heineken and Corona I cant find an import! I was at an irisah pub on St. Pattys day and by the time i got there at 9 pm all the Guiness was sold out!!! I had to take my Irish Car Bomb without the Guiness! Guiness is not only tasty and delicious but has the same amount of calories per serving as Miller Light (go ahead and check it!) Anyone ever have a Peruvian beer? Pilsen, Zenda, Trujillo, Polar, Cristal, Cusqueña (my fav) theres also darker version of Polar and Cusqueña.

Back
Top Bottom