Who Likes Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love beer when I'm in Quebec! I love every kind of Unibroue, from the palest to the darkest. I occasionally get a Sleeman or Cheval Blanc. Or if I can spend a little more, Chimay or Liefmans Kriek (actual cherry beer, nothing to do with the cherry flavored drinks we have here) which are from belgium. Since I moved to the united states though, I've pretty much stopped drinking. The beer here is just disgusting. Luckily they are starting to import some Fin du monde, although it's not really the best for hot weather.

The problem is, you live in Florida. A *lot* of beers never make it to Florida because of their antiquated laws.

Then again, a lot of beers that I used to get in Florida I can't get now that I'm back in Tennessee. I kind of miss Kalik on a really hot, sultry day, and I really liked Mackesons XXX Stout. Key West Sunset Ale was much better when it was made on Stock Island. Now it's just an extension of Ybor City beer, made in Tampa.

Check out the ABC stores, if they've built one in the Keys since I left. They have a pretty good selection of beers. I picked up some good stuff there while I lived in Florida. There are a couple in Naples if you're ever up that way.

Not me. the only time I used to like the smell of it and would bug my DH to have a shandy so I can have a sip or two was when when I was expecting my son.

We like beer as an accompaniment to some food, especially pizza!! Unfortunately Italians don't do beers as well as they do wines, so we usually get the German product, we like the wheat based ones, (weizen bier) also there is one with lemon flavour, that is very light, almost like pop with just a slight touch of alcohol... we find it very tasty!!
When I was in England I also liked the rich flavour of ales, too.

:) When I was in Germany in 2000 there really wasn't a beer I didn't like I really liked the dark beers there a hint of sweet to them.Although Im not really a beer drinker I will drink coors gold,the warsteiner is good but there is a beer made in Texas called Ziegenbock I love that beer.
If I happen to get to a micro brewery then I usually go for an amber ale.
I like when you can get the flights of beer because then you get to try a little shot of each one.

Hi- I'm the new guy here, so let me let the cat out of the bag... I am a BEER LOVER, and proud to say I am an advanced homebrewer.

I started in 1990, when I lived in Florida, and found I could brew it better than I could buy it. FYI, at the time we owned a fine dining, casual gourmet restaurant, with a magnificent wine list... and I had access to the best wines at the restaurant prices... I still drank my own beer.

I brew almost all styles, but mostly Northwest style Pale Ales, Porters, Stouts, and all sorts of Lagers, from Dormunder Style, to my own version of Pilsner Urquell, and a fine Munich Lager.

Back in the days of the 60's I lived in Germany, and learned those styles from practical experience... I love beer....period.

Jikoni said:
Not me. the only time I used to like the smell of it and would bug my DH to have a shandy so I can have a sip or two was when when I was expecting my son.

Jikoni, Please explain the term "shandy"?

In the USA, they now make a big deal out of making pregnant women abstain completely from alcohol. Actually, our country is getting obsesive/compulsive about all kinds of health issues, basically because everyone is busy sueing everyone else.
That aside, in my humble, Mother Earth opinion, a small amount of beer is a good thing for pregnant women. It helps us sleep better, and helps keep our digestive functions regular in a healthy way.

After the baby comes, beer helps to make milk. My doctor with my youngest recommended 1-2 beers per day.
My youngest is now 33. Of course, none of the doctors around here would recommend that now, but let me tell you, she was a happy, contented baby who has turned out to be a very intelligent young woman.

A lot of Dr's now actually do recommend a drink every once in a while. You certainly don't want to get drunk or make a habit of drinking while pregnant, but a glass of wine or a beer every once in a while is fine and sometimes even suggested.

Oh My...how did I ever NOT see this thread.....ok which of you decided NOT to send me the link?

mmm....bbbbbbEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

mmmmm.....oh I already said that....

Can someone send me a Coors Light please? I did say please you know....:ROFLMAO:

mmmmm.......

Being 100% Czech on both sides of the family, beer was a way of life.

I like beer, but because I like the "beery" taste, I don't care at all for many of the domestic brands - most of them are just too light for my taste.

My favorites for "sipping" would be Guinness; & I also LOVE Yuengling's Porter, but that has become virtually impossible to find anywhere around here. Whole Foods used to carry it regularly, but no more.

As far as the non-dark brews, I like any of the somewhat beefier European types, & love trying new ones when I'm in the vicinity of a well-stocked beverage center. I used to LOVE Bock's (not to be confused with Beck's), but Bock beer in it's cute little squat bottles also went the way of all dust once American tastes began leaning towards lighter-tasting beer. I guess the lightest types I now enjoy would be any of the Pilsners.

BreezyCooking said:
Being 100% Czech on both sides of the family, beer was a way of life.

Ah ha!! That brings back the memories of when I was in Prague... I remember you could buy beers for less than you would pay for waters!! And they were not bad either!!

Licia, if you like the lemon flavoured Weizen just order it with a slice of lemon in ;o)
that is quite usual in Germany...
have you ever treid weizen with banana juice?

Last edited:
We just had Rex Halfpenny speaking at our homebrew club meeting last night. He's the co-pubisher of Michigan Beer Guide, which he publishes with his wife. Rex is a really approachable guy who is very passionate about evaluating beer. It was really fun to listen to him talk about the "ideals" in evaluating and judging beer versus what usually is available.

http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/beerguide.asp

Needless to say, everyone at the meeting really likes beer.. :mrgreen:

John

Note to all beer lovers who are also food lovers... Brew Your Own.
Obviously there is a strong cross-over between foodies and beer geeks.
I am suggesting that as a foodie you will find it incredibly easy to start homebrewing.

You only need a few special items. If you live in a medium to large town you probably have a local home brew store. Go there and ask. They will teach you how.
It is easy, fun, and you can make better beer than you can buy. Not only that, you can make it just the way you want it.
Check it out.
OBTW I have 5 gallons of a Bohemian Pilsner lagering just now. It will be good to go in early May. Yesterday I tapped my keg of Pike IPA Clone, and Monday I brewed a Sierra Nevada Ale Clone. It will be ready in about 3 weeks.

Hopz said:
Obviously there is a strong cross-over between foodies and beer geeks.
I am suggesting that as a foodie you will find it incredibly easy to start homebrewing.

Very True! which is why I say..

DON'T DO IT!!! :-p

Oh, it starts off fun enough.. One batch, then two, then a few extra pieces of equipment, then a fridge or two, or three, or four! :wacko:

Then the glassware starts to multiply. You swear you aren't collecting them, but suddenly you have glasses for regular drinking, glasses for the pilsners, glasses for the belgian beers, etc...

Then the kegs show up, they're harmless at first, just one or two, then there's a deal, and suddenly you have 14 of them. And they're all FULL (ok, ok, various stages of full, and usually more towards almost empty).

What a hobby!! :mrgreen:

John

Beer abd Tomatoe juice is one of my favorites. When I lived in Virginia, that is what they called "Red Eye" and it was very common. In Chicago they look at you like tou have the plague.

I also put a little Worchestershire Suace or Tabasco depending on how I feel.

Back
Top Bottom