"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
corazon were you using loose tea or teabags? I was wondering if it would affect the flavor.
loose tea is all I ever use and it probably would affect the flavor. I just like my tea strong!

Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks corazon. Most the the teas I have say you can use the same leaves to brew two or three pots, but I have only just done one pot so far so I have not seen how much weaker the flavor will be on subsequent brewings. I think I am like you in that I like it on the strong side. Maybe if I find the 2nd brewing is too weak I could increase the amount of tea leaves I put in the pot initially? Worth a shot at least.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:32 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I increase the amount of leaves sometimes and I think it helps but it may be just psychological. You'll figure it out, just the way that you like it!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

OK I gave this techniques a shot this morning and I think it worked. I still feel the caffeine a little, but just a very little. instead of using two teaspoons of tea, I used two and a half. The flavor was perfect. I am declaring this experiment a success for me
Old 01-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Master Chef

Actually black tea is also healthy according to recent studies I've red in a pepper.

As far as removing caffeine from tea I always thought it was obvious, though I never really made that my goal. Using loose leaf teas and brewing some highly concentated tea in the pot and then using it to add some water and make regular tea. Or in my early years using it to get high, shh don't tell anybody I did this.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
OK I gave this techniques a shot this morning and I think it worked. I still feel the caffeine a little, but just a very little. instead of using two teaspoons of tea, I used two and a half. The flavor was perfect. I am declaring this experiment a success for me
OK I spoke way too soon. I am revoking my "approved" status and declaring this experiment a huge failure for me. My jaw is so tight right now if feels like I have been chewing gum for a week straight. I did not notice any reduction in the caffeine at all. Maybe I did it wrong. I am thinking maybe I didn't use enough water on the first brew. I probably used about 4 oz of water. Do you think that might be the problem?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

gb, i'm not sure why it didn't work, but when i read this thread, i pictured people all over ireland, the uk, the middle and far east cringing at the thought of americans "rinsing down" their tea. i agree with corazon; you lose so much flavor that way. my thought is why bother.
support new jersey and the petrochemical industry and just go out and buy decaf.
(methylene chloride is commonly used as the solvent to remove caffeine)

here's some info on decaffeinating tea: http://www.globetrends.com/allaboutt...ationOfTea.htm

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

If the caffeine in a cup of tea sets you off, how do you manage to drink coffee and not zoom off into space?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

BT I would prefer to just buy decaf. The problem I have is the selection. Thee are sooooo many great looking teas out there, but when it comes to decaf instead if having a choice of hundreds, you have a choice of a small handful. Some sites I have been to have had as few as 3 or 4 decaf choices.

Yeah I agree that people who drink tea in many places outside the US would put a curse on me for even mentioning doing this. I think though that the same people would at least be somewhat happy that even though I am mutilating the tea and tea experience by doing this, at least I am not using tea bags

As for the flavor loss, I was worried about this as well. When I tried it though it made a delicious cup of tea. I honesty did not notice any watered down effect. I did use slightly more tea than I would have, but really the tea tasted great.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
GB:

If the caffeine in a cup of tea sets you off, how do you manage to drink coffee and not zoom off into space?
I quit drinking coffee Andy. I will occasionally have a cup. If we go out for breakfast or it is a weekend and we are with friends or just a nice summer weekend morning sitting with my wife and baby out by the pool enjoying the morning, but it is not a daily occurance anymore for me. I quit about 2 years ago afger NEEDING a cup every morning first thing. The caffeine does not always negatively affect me, but when it does it is really bothersome.