"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Hmmmmmmmmm . . . . . . . .

Sorry to raise an old thread, but iced coffee is a favorite of mine. I do like the "exotic" coolers and Frappiccinos (sp?), but sometimes just good old iced coffe is good.

Here's how I used to make it when I worked in a food service kitchen.

Fill a plasitc pitcher with ice (the kind used to fill water glasses in a restaurant). Add a pint of milk, and approximately 3/4 cup of sugar (more or less depending on your sweet tooth). Head to the industrial coofee maker and let her rip!Mix with a large utensil, and enjoy! About half the ice will melt from the heat of the coffee, but the remaining half will keep the coffee cold!

Old 02-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I'm with Big Dog. Love the regular iced coffee. My best friend's mom used to make it for us - especially in the summer - when we were going up in CT. I'll take it over a fancy coffee anyday. (Except maybe Vietnamese Iced Coffee!)

Old 02-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #13
Senior Cook

sugar in coffee?

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like sugar in her coffee...iced or hot! I guess I really have moved into the gourmet world . I usually just pour 1 part coffee to 2 parts milk (usually a blend of half and half and milk) then added ice. I see I may have been missing out!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Cook

I posted this somewhere else in here, but I think it might be more along the lines of this thread.
If an espresso maker you are good. Other wise I would think the new senso single cup makers would work fine too.

If you want a good cold drink, try this.
fill the glass you plan on using half full of ice,
add 1/2 and 1/2 to cover the ice.
add any flavor you want.
Add 2 shots of espresso last.
all of this goes in your blender, blend on high until it the ice is gone.
It is just like the frappicino's at starbucks. And you don't need the mix.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Yummy, and so simple as well! Thanks, kingfisher!!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to javadog
Recipe America Iced Coffee

To make Iced coffee, select a Dark coffee roast. Use twice as much coffee as is required to brew a regular cup of coffee. If on the coffee can it says one tablespoon per cup, use two tablespoons per cup. If you want sweetened Iced coffee, add sugar while the coffee is hot. After the brewing process is complete, add enough Ice to double the volume. It will cool off the coffee. Store in the refrigerator. Serve chilled. Add cream when serving if desired.
Continued Success Deserves The Best
http://www.blackjava.ca/
javadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog
Recipe America Iced Coffee

To make Iced coffee, select a Dark coffee roast. Use twice as much coffee as is required to brew a regular cup of coffee. If on the coffee can it says one tablespoon per cup, use two tablespoons per cup. If you want sweetened Iced coffee, add sugar while the coffee is hot. After the brewing process is complete, add enough Ice to double the volume. It will cool off the coffee. Store in the refrigerator. Serve chilled. Add cream when serving if desired.
Wow! Double the quantity? That's a strong coffee!

I see the theory in doubleing (sp?) the quantity as you are doubling the volume with ice, but recall ice is an expanded form of water, so it's not truly double what the original volume is. Not knowing the precise measurements, I pitch the following estimates: If you brew 12 cups of coffee, and add enough ice to increase the volume to 24 cups, when the ice melts, you wind up with maybe 18 cups or so (again, estimates and approximations on my part). Yet you brewed enough grounds for 24 cups of coffee.

I agree with the thought of increased quantity of grounds upon brewing, but I disagree with doubling. Frankly I'm one to say it depends on tatse. Some may think doubling isn't strong enough, I don't know. I found it an art to try to find what balance I liked for iced coffee. I can't really tell what it is as it varies on the roast or the method of brewing. When I was at camp, the coffee maker dispensed fairly strong coffee, so pouring the coffee into the pitcher of ice, cream, and sugar made it perfect. I still haven't found my preference for iced coffee via standard home coffee maker, but I don't often make iced coffee.

I also think that the freshness of the iced coffe is paramount to a good cup. This is part of the reason why I don't make it often. I don't drink a "whole pot" of iced coffee, and I don't think refridgerated iced coffee it very good.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I've been drinking iced coffee for over....

...fifty years, everyday. I like a dark roast coffee, or sometimes grind my own beans. If you were to drink my brew hot, you'd choke. I make it very rich, add sweetener, milk, and pour it over a tumbler of ice. In the summertime, I sometimes add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Over a half century ago, I was doctoring it with vanilla, brewing it with cinnamon, peppermint. Little did I know I was doing what the fancy houses do today. Cold coffee sux, but iced coffee rules.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to javadog
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Wow! Double the quantity? That's a strong coffee!
If you brew 12 cups of coffee, and add enough ice to increase the volume to 24 cups, when the ice melts, you wind up with maybe 18 cups or so (again, estimates and approximations on my part). Yet you brewed enough grounds for 24 cups of coffee.
What your saying is that frozen ice doubles. I'm not sure what kind of water your using. I would think that at the very most you would lose 1 cup so double strength coffee makes perfect sense.

Continued Success Deserves The Best
http://www.blackjava.ca/
javadog is offline   Reply With Quote