"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Making Simple Syrup with Splenda

I'm really into making simple syrups for cocktails, martinis, sodas. Anyone ever use Splenda in place of Sugar??? How did it turn out???

Old 01-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Master Chef

Erik, I haven't, but I know that Audeo is a huge Splenda fan. She's usually around on the weekends right now so she might have some insight on it then.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Thanks...I'll bump this over the weekend.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Good question, Erik. We use Splenda for most things around here, but hadn't thought of making SS with it yet.

I've noticed that it dissolves much faster in milk and cereal than regular sugar, so I have my doubts about its syrup-making ability, but it may just amount to adjusting the sugar-water ratio. Usually when I make simple syrup I do equal amounts of each.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Sous Chef

*bump*
Old 01-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Head Chef

Yep. Big fan here. Probably one of the best gifts to Diabetics in recent culinary history, IMO!

Splenda DEFINATELY can be made into a simple syrup! The stuff can be substituted measurement for measurement for granulated sugar in just about any recipe. Unlike its sugar-substitute predecessors, Splenda (which is a form of sugar) can be subjected to heat making it very versatile in all forms of cooking. I'd have to check for the exact threshhold, but I know you can cook Splenda beyond 300 degrees F, because I've made candy with the stuff!

I'm sure the Atkins...er...uh...folks are all over its use in drink recipes, so you can probably google a ton of responses.

For a traditional simple syrup, combine 2 parts Splenda to 1 part water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly to dissolve the stuff and cook until it reaches about 220 degrees F. (Probably 2-3 minutes past a full, rolling boil at sea level.)

If this is for cocktails, I wouldn't bother cooking that long. I would combine equal parts of Splenda to water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat just until the Splenda is totally dissolved, then decant into a jar to be stored in the fridge.

Hope that helps!

(Thanks for the thoughts, PA!)
Old 01-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks...I'm just learning about Splenda. My 2 year old had his 2 front teeth ruined by sugars and acids in apple juice. Since our miracle worker pediatric dentist gave my son an awesome "new smile", we have been scrambling to try new things for him to drink.

Thanks, Audeo.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

Audeo, re: splenda

If it can be subbed measure for measure, then why is the box in the supermarket about 1/10th the weight of sugar????
Old 01-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Audeo, re: splenda

If it can be subbed measure for measure, then why is the box in the supermarket about 1/10th the weight of sugar????
Jenny, thank you so much for raising this question and preventing what would have otherwise been an oversight!

The answer to your question is that Splenda comes in two (actually three) forms. The first is the powdered stuff found in the packets that dissolves more easily in coffee, ect. The second form -- that which can be substituted measure for measure -- is the GRANULATED form that was developed more for cooking.

Egads! You sure prevented a disaster and I apologize for not making that very important point clear!

Splenda recently came out with a third product that blends the stuff with regular granulated sugar and targets baking. Some things I have learned through trials and errors with Splenda is that baked foods do not brown as much and even the baking times themselves tend to be shorter. While it doesn't have that aftertaste found in its predecessors, and while it takes quite a bit of heat (but not as much as regular sugar), Splenda nevertheless has its unique properties and quirks.

I do hope this reaches you prior to a disaster here, Erik!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

THANKS!!

I had heard about the one-for one subbing before, but the box in my store seemed too light to make that work. I guess it was the drink sweetener kind. I did not buy it so no MAJOR overseeteneing disaster happened, thank goodness.

I have been meaning to try a Splenda experiment and now that you have explained it so well, I will look for version 3 in the store.

Thanks Again!!