More tea chat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie, you have to cruise the tea aisle! Even if you're not buying any because your cupboards are over flowing, you just have to stand there and sniff! It's the best!

I really like drinking tea in the morning with a toast, Twinning 'English Breakfast Tea' (Red box) when drinking plain tea or 'Tazo Awake' with milk are my favorites.
A colleague from work brought me a very nice box of Chinese tea that I haven't tried yet, this stuff smells so strong that will probably grow hair in your chest LOL

Peppermint Tea is great, I add a bit of Sugar In The Raw to it, nice and soothing, doesnt need it, but its great.

I also discovered a most excellent Iced Tea today.
Arizona Black & White Tea. Its the best of both worlds, few calories and no high fructose corn syrup. Its excellent and excellent for you.

wysiwyg said:
I really like drinking tea in the morning with a toast, Twinning 'English Breakfast Tea' (Red box) when drinking plain tea or 'Tazo Awake' with milk are my favorites.
A colleague from work brought me a very nice box of Chinese tea that I haven't tried yet, this stuff smells so strong that will probably grow hair in your chest LOL

I used to like both of those also. I would drink either Twinnings English or Irish breakfast tea, then I switched to Tazo Awake too and now I'm hooked on Tea Gerschwender.

I'm Scotch/Irish and I've been drinking tea as soon as I wake up since I was 3 years old. The minute the alarm goes off, I start thinking about my warm cup of tea - gotta have it!
:-p

A nice warm cuppa is definately the only way to wake up, it's the best when someone else makes it for you though!

OK, lets go count and see the number of different flavors and varieties in our cabinets. Lets see who is the biggest nut!

On an early foggy morning trip to visit the Taj Majal last December, I fell in love with Marsala tea at a roadside breakfast joint between New Delhi and Agra. It calmed my nerves (frayed by the difficult travel) and warmed my soul (my teeth were chattering from the cold). It was a hot milky tea with various spices somewhat like the tea referred to as Chai in upscale western hotels.

Now whenever I go to an Indian restaurant I ask for Marsala tea after the meal. They do serve it but it's nothing close to my memory of that hot soothing almost magical potion I had on that memorable morning in a rough exotic land.

Last edited:
Chopstix, what a lovely memory. And so beautifully narrated. Thank you.

I feel that way about Earl Grey (Twinings). On our honeymoon, we stayed at a lovely B&B on Mayne Island. There wasn't a lot to do on the island (but really, on your honeymoon you don't need a lot...:brows: ) They served an afternoon tea in the parlor at about 4pm. We'd toured the island, it was drizzling rain so we couldn't do anymore outside activities and our room was being "freshened up" so off we went to the parlor. I was tired, a bit cranky and feeling like I needed to be pampered a bit. Well, when that tray arrived with the tea and cookies on it I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The tea was just what I needed and I've bought it myself ever since. It has never tasted quite so perfect though...

Alix said:
OK, lets go count and see the number of different flavors and varieties in our cabinets. Lets see who is the biggest nut!

ok, i have: regular sencha, pineapple sencha, earl grey, earl grey with silvertips and extra bergamot, tung ting jade oolong, lipton's regular black, lipton's cold brew, chinese black, and barry's gold blend.

Alix said:
Chopstix, what a lovely memory. And so beautifully narrated. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words Alix! I'm still chuckling at your :brows:!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chopstix said:
Thanks for the kind words Alix! I'm still chuckling at your :brows:!

Don't you just love that little smiley? He's a personal fave of mine.

BT, you are not into herbals at all? OK, I'm off to do my count. I forgot!

Black tea:

Twinings Earl Grey
Twinings Lady Grey
Twinings English Breakfast
Twinings Irish Breakfast
Red Rose (orange pekoe)
Stash Earl Grey
Stash Double bergamot Earl Grey
Stash Exotica Reserve Blend
Second Cup Holiday tea

Green Tea:
(Not too many at the moment as I'm sort of "off" green tea.)
Moroccan Mint (stash)
Jasmine and green (stash)
Dragonwell green (stash)

Herbal:
Stash White Christmas (white tea with ginger and mint)
Stash Peppermint
Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime
Celestial Seasonings Peppermint
Celestial Seasonings Lemon zinger
London Fruit and Herb sampler including:
Blackcurrant, Orange Spice, Lemon Lime, Raspberry, Strawberry vanilla, Peach, Blueberry, Apple Cinnamon.

There are also a few lone teabags floating around, got a Tazo Awake, a Berry something or other, a couple of chamomile and some wild sweet orange.

OK, I know that list looks huge, but you should have seen my tea cupboard a year or so ago. It was absolutely CRAMMED with different flavours.

Oh my God... That's quite a substantial collection you have there... Ha ha!

I did mention I have a serious tea addiction didn't I? I like to make sure I have lots of choice available.

alix, you are a sick woman. ;)

no, no herbals for me. i don't know why, but most of the added flavorings in herbal teas taste fake to me, as in imitation flavors, even when they're supposed to be all natural. especially in iced teas.

hey, i do get wild with the extra bergamot in my earl grey supreme!

Its a little embarrassing isn't it? And this is a pared down version of what I normally have. LOL.

BT, if you ever think you might like to retry herbal teas I highly recommend the London Fruit and Herb ones. They actually taste like the fruit. And the ingredient list is all natural. I'm kind of a purist on that myself and they satisfy my palate.

Two friends and I do a bit of a tea ministry to homebound and elderly ladies in our church (really any ladies who don't get socialized much). We take everything except the water. I have amassed quite a few teas and used to get the Stash teas at a local grocery. Since they don't sell it, I order it. Around the holidays they have a really good deal - several different types in a beautiful box. I usually take about 5 different types and let them choose what they like. We make 2 different tea foods, muffins, scones, sandwiches, sweets, etc, each so it isn't hard on any of us. We enjoy it, but the recipients really enjoy it. We take pictures and send them a copy to remember.

lol, certainly not from licia!

licia, i wanted to say that it's a very nice thing that you're doing, and i'm sure, greatly appreciated. my mil would have loved to have had visitors for tea, when she couldn't get out anymore. even with us there, you could tell she was somewhat lonely in her last years.

so, yay licia!

Thanks so much. I didn't do my post to receive accolades, but I do appreciate what was said. It is so amazing to see the ladies virtually come out of their shell when they see what we are doing. We use cloth napkins, china dishes, etc. One lady we took tea to was 94 years old. We didn't know it, but the day we were there turned out to be her birthday. We didn't tell her we didn't know it, since she was thrilled to be remembered. Some things just really work out well. It makes us thankful to be able to help them have pleasant memories. They tell some interesting stories about their lives. One lady's husband had played in an orchestra. She had asked him not to attend our tea party, but he wanted to be a part of it. He even played his coronet for us, and he was still good.

Back
Top Bottom