Thai Iced Tea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avlynn

Cook
Does anyone know a good recipe for Thai iced tea? I love getting it in restaurants but it has a lot of sugar. I'm wondering if i couldn't use Splenda. Also having trouble locating the right type of tea. Maybe Whole foods would have it.

Av

Here is a recipe that impressed me:

1 gallon water
8 Chinese star anise, ground
1 tablespoon orange flowers
1 tablespoon powdered vanilla
1 pinch of clove powder
1 pinch chopped cinnamon
3/4 quart long cut China black tea leaves
1 to 2 cups sugar
1 quart half & half
red food coloring
crushed ice

Boil water. Add star anise, orange flowers, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, and tea leaves to boiling water. Continue boiling for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cover and allow to steep until luke warm. Strain, and add sugar to taste. Serve in a clear glass over plenty of crushed ice. Top with half & half.

Shaheen said:

1 gallon water
1 pinch of clove powder
1 pinch chopped cinnamon
1 to 2 cups sugar
1 quart half & half
red food coloring
crushed ice

Boil water. Add star anise, orange flowers, vanilla, clove, cinnamon, and tea leaves to boiling water. Continue boiling for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cover and allow to steep until luke warm. Strain, and add sugar to taste. Serve in a clear glass over plenty of crushed ice. Top with half & half.

Thanks, Shaheen, for the recipe, but where does one get these exotic ingredients? Are they expensive? Can I substitute powder with liquid vanilla?

h2oct said:
Thanks, Shaheen, for the recipe, but where does one get these exotic ingredients? Are they expensive? Can I substitute powder with liquid vanilla?

Hey I'm so sorry for such a late reply. Was tied up with studies and a new job. I'm really not sure where you'd get these ingredients cos I live in India! By liquid vanilla do you mean essence? I'm not sure if that woud work since that very strong and is used mostly in baking.

h2oct said:
Thanks, Shaheen, for the recipe, but where does one get these exotic ingredients?

Asian Market, 2001 Story Road, San Jose, CA 95122

Lion Market, 471 Saratoga Avenue, San Jose, CA

Shaheen said:

1 gallon water
1 pinch of clove powder
1 pinch chopped cinnamon
1 to 2 cups sugar
1 quart half & half
red food coloring
crushed ice

this sounds more like iced chai to me
most thai restaurants just use freshly brewed black tea, ice and sweetened condensed milk *shudders*

You can make a very easy version with this recipe:

Thai Iced Tea

2 Tbsp. loose Thai tea
1/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. sugar
Ice cubes or crushed ice
1/4 c. half and half

Bring tea and water to a boil in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your taste. Strain the tea into another container and stir in the sugar. Pour the tea over ice in a tall glass immediately, or after the tea has cooled to room temperature. Top with the half and half.

For us, I buy bags of Thai Seasoning Mix (Por Kwan product) online and you add it to water and boil. When boiled for about 5 minutes, you strain it, fill you glass with ice, pour the strained tea over it and add coconut cream. For my coconut cream, I use Coconut Cream Powder (Chao Thai Brand), which I also buy online. It is instant and you just add warm water and you get great coconut cream for all your desserts, main dishes and making tea. I have ordered the Thai Ice Tea when dinning out, and they always have brought the coconut cream to the table and added it the glass of iced tea as it was served. This coconut cream powder is wonderful to have on hand.

Since I am sugar sensitive, I tend to use Stevia to sweeten, as it has no calories or carbs but is 100's of times stronger than sugar. If you get the highest grade, it has absolutely no back taste.

Link: One source of Stevia

You can make a very easy version with this recipe:

Thai Iced Tea

2 Tbsp. loose Thai tea
1/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. sugar
Ice cubes or crushed ice
1/4 c. half and half

Bring tea and water to a boil in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your taste. Strain the tea into another container and stir in the sugar. Pour the tea over ice in a tall glass immediately, or after the tea has cooled to room temperature. Top with the half and half.

For us, I buy bags of Thai Seasoning Mix (Por Kwan product) online and you add it to water and boil. When boiled for about 5 minutes, you strain it, fill you glass with ice, pour the strained tea over it and add coconut cream. For my coconut cream, I use Coconut Cream Powder (Chao Thai Brand), which I also buy online. It is instant and you just add warm water and you get great coconut cream for all your desserts, main dishes and making tea. I have ordered the Thai Ice Tea when dinning out, and they always have brought the coconut cream to the table and added it the glass of iced tea as it was served. This coconut cream powder is wonderful to have on hand.

Thai Breakfast

Try this link for a how-to on Thai iced tea. Also does rice congee in the same video.

Authenticity in question but maybe similar to what you are used to.

I found the video fun, but as you say, although I'm not sure as I've never been to India, I think maybe the recipe is a bit of a hybrid. I have been making indian tea and congee for years but haven't seen it made like this. But of course you called it Thai iced tea. What a difference a word makes... :cool:

I found the video fun, but as you say, although I'm not sure as I've never been to India, I think maybe the recipe is a bit of a hybrid. I have been making indian tea and congee for years but haven't seen it made like this. But of course you called it Thai iced tea. What a difference a word makes... :cool:
Yeah this is the thing really. What we are served in the land the dish comes from is often quite different from the same dish served in a foreign country (to that dish). Without knowing how authentic a dish the person is used to makes finding a recipe a bit like asking how long is a piece of string! Comes down to trial and error in the end.

Yeah this is the thing really. What we are served in the land the dish comes from is often quite different from the same dish served in a foreign country (to that dish). Without knowing how authentic a dish the person is used to makes finding a recipe a bit like asking how long is a piece of string! Comes down to trial and error in the end.

This conversation, as short as it may be, takes cooking, for me, one step closer to sociology - the psychology of a society. Cool :cool:

I was looking at the recipes posted and I thought that Thai ice tea uses coconut milk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom