Thai fish cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
I have never been able to do fish cakes. When you buy them in a supermarket(uk) they cook in a deep fat fryer. I tried making them myself and they just break up. However. Now I have an air fryer I would like to try this again. Mabe cod/haddockand prawn mix? Any recipies I could try with a bread crumb outer? I also think that they would stick to the base inside as it is slotted, so what could I use? Tin foil? mini pyrex dish? What would I use with the them and the breadcrumbs? whole eg/ white/ yoke wash? I do have a NutriBullet mixer to hand.

I would love to get some nice hot and spicey thai here.

Last edited:
I've never made fish cakes with other than salmon, very, very yummy. I do have a marvelous recipe for crab from a friend but never done.
One word of concern, I do not have a NutriBullet but would that not turn the fish to paste? You want the pieces chopped small but still pieces. IMHO
I'll dig up the recipes and post them. think I may have posted the salmon one before. It is the one from America's Test Kitchen.

I like Thai fish cakes and make them occasionally.
They are generally shallow fried and are more spongy than crispy.
Is that what you are after?
Defimitely no bread crumbs involved ;)

It sounds to me that you are looking for a Western type fish cake with Thai flavours?

Just so we steer you in the right direction.

I used to make some that I called fish balls ( ;) ). They were more in the shape of a bitterbal / small meatball.
Half fish, half boiled potato (by weight). Spiced as you like.
Roll through bread crumbs, then through beaten egg and again through egg crumb.
Deep fry (not too many at the same time to prevent oil temperature drop).

I have never been able to do fish cakes. When you buy them in a supermarket(uk) they cook in a deep fat fryer. I tried making them myself and they just break up. However. Now I have an air fryer I would like to try this again. Mabe cod/haddockand prawn mix? Any recipies I could try with a bread crumb outer? I also think that they would stick to the base inside as it is slotted, so what could I use? Tin foil? mini pyrex dish? What would I use with the them and the breadcrumbs? whole eg/ white/ yoke wash? I do have a NutriBullet mixer to hand.

I would love to get some nice hot and spicey thai here.
I bind mine with mashed potatoes....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom