"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-30-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
To Brew or Not to Brew.. that is the question!

Ok Brief history... 3 bedroom B&B number of people maximum 6.

So we serve our tea in indiv. pots and our coffee in Cafeteries. (also known to some as bodums) *see picture below*

I had this guy in this weekend we shall call him Mr. Koffee. So Mr Koffee is staying for 2 nights and has coffee both mornings. The first morning nothing is said he loves his breakfast left a tip and all. This morning in front of ALLL the other guests I get this:

"You know yesterday I tolerated it but today..Do you think its very professional to serve coffee this way"

Me: "what way is that"

Mr. Koffee "In this stupid little pot it doesnt taste like coffee its crap and I doubt that i will be coming back here if this is the way you serve coffee."

**He then proceeds to throw questions at me about my Professionalism and have i ever gone to a place and been served coffee this way**

I figured now wasnt a good time to tell him I dont drink coffee and yes actually ive seen it served this way!

So i kept my mouth shut the other guests jaws were DROPPING they could see the tears welling up in my eyes. I offered to get him brewed coffee and he declined stormed off in a huff. His wife gave me that look of im sorry as she followed him

Anyway I pose the question Are cafeteries Professional enough Would you as a coffee drinker be ok with them??

Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I am kind of an expert on this topic. I own ten or more Starbucks containers and love reading my morning paper while having their strongest coffee and the best scones on earth while ogling the pretty employees. Some diners are very good and 7-Elevens are second only to Starbucks. Most other places aren't worth much especially fast food restaurants which are the absolute worst of the bunch. My wife makes the best when I add a dollop of cognac.

I love making the girls cry so I can return with flowers, candy and kisses to beg their forgiveness.

Cry baby

All the best,
Robert

Old 07-30-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

The French press makes an absolutely wonderful cup of coffee when done properly. I have a FP service at many fine restaurants.
You might need to explore your roast/grind/ratio etc. and perhaps particularly if you are not a coffee drinker. The worst offense is not making coffee strong enough, in my opinion. That is easily fixed. And of course, with a FP, you have to use the right grind so it isn't "sediment", and since it is coarse, it needs a robust roast.
Do you grind your coffee? A burr grinder might also help if you are not using that.
If I had a B&B I might even offer differing coffees for selection--French,etc.. I hate flavored coffees but many love them.
I think your "guest" might have been rude and could have handled it differently, but maybe your coffee isn't up to snuff and he has done you a favor. He obviously does not know about a French press as a professional "tool".
If you have a Costco nearby, they carry Starbucks brand as well as their Kirkland brand of Starbucks. The latter is very good.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Executive Chef

However your coffee tasted, the guest was inconceivably rude and showed his true colors to the other guests. I would think someone who behaved so abominably was doing so for more than the coffee. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding with his wife, or he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I always have heard that the French Press makes the best coffee ever....but I don't drink coffee, either. I'd invite a friend who loves coffee to come and critique it.

Such a rude man! I agree that something else was bothering him and he took it out on an innocent party.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Senior Cook

The guy was a jerk and will die a jerk(I hope you'r happy).
Flavored coffees are a must so find a good source of coffee syrups. And yes, you can purchase Starbucks prepackaged and would be a big time saver for you. Always offer mild, strong and extra strong(shot of espresso added), too weak or bitter are the greatest sins. Make certain to carry Splenda and keep your granulated sugar in pouring dispensers and not little packets. Have on hand heavy cream(my preference), half-n-half, milk(ew), and a nondairy such as Coffee-mate.
When considering flavors, observe a 7-Eleven coffee center or a large gas-food stop. Hazelnut is one of the most popular.
To offer a tabsp of rum or brandy at 50cents each would be a compelling option. You'd be surprised to learn that Mr. Koffee actually suffered from a hangover and needed a bit of "the hair of the dog that bit him".
Be absolutely clear on one fact, Coffee Shops are enjoying a phenomenal growth in popularity. So offer the finest and boast about it in all your advertisements. Also verbally offer it before and after the meal and hang graphics of coffee filled cups on the walls and in your menu. And for heavens sakes, KEEP THOSE CUPS FILLED AT NO EXTRA COST!!! Have someone walk around with a fresh pot, offering to top-off(topless would be good too)
No coffee connoisseur would touch decaf but you must carry it. Without the caffeine I wouldn't touch the crap. It's a legal drug that you sell, so yea, go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAH,one other thingy, the size and type of cup & saucer, OMG it's soooo important. My most precious position is a diner style coffee cup my grandma used as long as I can remember. It's handle is worn from use and I feel her warmth whenever I use it. Do not use mugs(double ew). I use travel mugs but I hate them. Smaller is better than larger in the case of coffee serving size. It's a very hot beverage that cools rapidly(iced coffees are nice for summer) so a small cup filled repeatedly is the ticket and the added impression of superior service is invaluable.

All the best,
Robert
Old 07-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

You were right and he was wrong, period. The French press is often called the best method of brewing coffee. Personally it is not my favorite way, but that is just personal taste. If I were served coffee from one, even in a 5 start restaurant, I would find it perfectly acceptable.

Sounds like that guy was just one of those idiots who needed something to complain about. It is wasn't the coffee then he would have found something else to complain about.

I think a French press is very appropriate for a B+B. I think there is something about it that goes along with that sort of atmosphere. It is kind of intimate in a way.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Hey, not fair! Why is GB's profile pic bigger than ours?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcast
Hey, not fair! Why is GB's profile pic bigger than ours?
It's all in who you know.....
Old 07-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

It is part of my "paycheck" for being a site administrator.