"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

I love Swedish meatballs. A popular reception place in town here was called Little Bit of Sweden and they always had a great spread. I can't vouch for its authenticity, but I can the taste.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

We love them, too. DH gave me Cooks' Illustrated's International Cookbook for Christmas a few years ago and they have a great recipe.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I wasn't active here at DC for your first challenge pac. Looking forward to following you along on this one though. Don't know if I'll make any opponent-specific food though. Since the Brownies are playing Miami all I can think of is grilled "dolphin" (would tuna on the grill do?) or, if I want to stretch myself a bit, I might MIGHT attempt arepas - although I'm not sure I could find the required cornmeal in time. Besides, all I can think of right now is "brownies". Ooo, maybe I'll just bake up a pan of bakechef's recipe every week!

Here we go Brownies, Here we go! Woof! Woof!
Just remember you are entitled to just ONE brownie per touchdown. Okay, a touchdown for either team. After all it is football!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just remember you are entitled to just ONE brownie per touchdown. Okay, a touchdown for either team. After all it is football!
After all it's football?
Heck, after all it's the BROWNS!
I think you are better off going with one brownie every time they have to punt!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #45
Proud American

Sunday, 8 September, the Carolina Panthers vs. the Seattle Seahawks.

Go Panthers!

Seahawks make for the tasty treats of panthers.

We will make the Cornish hens for the game!

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
After all it's football?
Heck, after all it's the BROWNS!
I think you are better off going with one brownie every time they have to punt!
Oh Ye of little faith. The Browns went 3-1 in preseason and you know what that means? Um, yeah, they pretty much used up a bunch of wins on don't-count games.

All I know is if I make brownies every time the Browns play I better be giving more than half a pan away to a random neighbor each week. Otherwise, by the end of football season, I'll be shaped like a football sitting on the kicking tee!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Sunday, 8 September, the Carolina Panthers vs. the Seattle Seahawks.

Go Panthers!

Seahawks make for the tasty treats of panthers.

We will make the Cornish hens for the game!

Your friend,
~Cat
When my team played Seattle last year I made a Vietnamese salmon dish because Seattle is known for both their Vietnamese cooking/restaurants and salmon fishing. It was one of my more creative meals and I've made it since then.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Oh Ye of little faith. The Browns went 3-1 in preseason and you know what that means? Um, yeah, they pretty much used up a bunch of wins on don't-count games.

All I know is if I make brownies every time the Browns play I better be giving more than half a pan away to a random neighbor each week. Otherwise, by the end of football season, I'll be shaped like a football sitting on the kicking tee!
I hear brownies ship well
Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #49
Master Chef

pac, it would be cheaper for you to make your own than to pay me back for the shipping charge. OTOH, whenever we move back to OH you and I can meet in the middle for a pan of brownies/pound of bacon swap.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
And I've given Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge its own thread (so I can find some of the stuff I made easier ).

A couple of years ago some of you may remember me challenging myself every time my football team, the (ahem) Cleveland Browns, played it's opponent. On that day I would make something to eat that their opponent's city or area was known for. For instance, when Cleveland played San Francisco I made Cioppino; Tennessee, Memphis style BBQ. Well after a year off I have decided to do it again!

Challenging myself this way every week introduced me to new foods and styles of cooking. And I feel the need to spice up my cooking once a week again, even though some will most likely be repeat performances. And I don't mean Cincinnati's goetta

So if you want to join in, feel free. Make something from my team's opponent or your own football's team opponent, or just know that I'll be posting something here every Sunday and once on Thursday

First up, the Miami Dolphins. Hmmm, pressed Cubans would be so easy...
OK, to get back OT, first up for my team's opponents were the Miami Dolphins. And as I said, pressed Cubans would have been too easy, so I scoured the Internet for other Cuban cuisine and found three recipes I wanted to make And they were perfect, as I've never made either one.

First up, Congri, or Cuban Red Beans and Rice. I used this recipe
I will be eating this for weeks, but won't mind. It was delicious. Even if the picture wasn't (new camera).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPPC-II week1 Congri.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	18606