"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Canned tuna and pasta

hi there,
my husband and I are on a small budget right now. We have canned tuna and pasta. I've been making the tuna fish with different spices and dips.
Tonight I did garlic powder, chili powder, crushed red pepper, horsey sauce, mayo, salt and dill relish.

I make my own pasta sauce.
but any other suggestions? I know tuna casserole (I just hate to make it...)
tuna melts...

any creative ideas? I figure right now I'm limited on what I can use. Anything creative will help.
Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Think more Asian - as in tuna patties - maybe some soy, ginger, garlic, spring onions, egg white to hold it together, some kind of "heat" i.e., garlic chili paste. Form into patties and turn ONLY once or they will fall apart.

You can serve on a bed of pasta or even rice.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I make my tuna patties with mashed potatoes and spices. Mix all together and lightly fry in extra virgin olive oil.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
Senior Cook

hmm i like the ideas..thanks.. i will try soon!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I do several things with canned tuna.

Using potatoes sliced thinly, layer them over a plate slightly overlapping spread tuna over par-cooked potatoes, and top with some taco sauce and grated cheese. Zap until potatoes cooked and cheese melted and top with sour cream and spring onions.

Again I use potatoes here in the same manner but you could substitute pasta shapes for the potatoes. Layer bottom of casserole dish with potatoes or pasta, top with a mix of tuna, butter beans, diced tomatoes, diced onions all mixed up with a decent amount of tomato paste. Top with another layer of potatoes or pasta. If you like you can pour a bit of cream over the top of the dish, which may be advisable if using pasta, and then top with grated cheese(s). Again as all ingredients are cooked, you only need cook until the cheese is melted and the dish is warmed through.

With linguine or spaghetti, mix tuna, sliced olives and halved fresh cherry tomatoes through with some cream, garlic, parsley, chives and some tomato paste. You can also add a dash of white wine into the sauce if you like.

I also make baked potatoes in their jackets topped with tuna, taco sauce and grated cheese. Salad on the side.

Mix tuna with a white sauce and wrap into filo triangles. You can add some veges into the mix if you like. Or you can turn it into a pie or roll instead of triangles.

Use tuna instead of meat to make a lasagna. Throw some olives into the mix as well.

Add tuna to mac and cheese. Throw in some cashew nuts for a bit of crunch. Instead of the normal cheese sauce, use a chile con queso dip instead.

Cucumber cups stuffed with tuna and mayo.

Tuna and mayo sushi.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Master Chef

My husband's very favorite summer dish (oh dearie me, is it ever coming?) is salad nicoise.

Tuna, olive oil, and spaghetti tossed are a good combo. If you can spring for some capers or green peppercorns in brine for some zip, or some olives, great.

I make my tuna patties southern style. Pretend you're making Maryland crab cakes. An egg, a little crushed crackers, lots of Chesapeak bay seasoning (if you don't have it some hot pepper, paprika, celery salt, garlic seasoning of some sort, and black pepper). Mush it all together (that's a technical term, don't you know), then form into patties then roll in bread crumbs of some sort. Fry at a pretty high heat (remember you're not cooking the tuna) until brown on each side. This is another of DH's favorite dishes.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
Head Chef

Add it to a box of mac and cheese (already made) with some lemon juice and black pepper! Throw in a veggie too if you like.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Bilby, you have me thinking of opening that can of tuna I've had in the pantry for a year. Those were some pretty creative, yet simple recipes.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Head Chef

I like to take bow tie pasta and toss it with canned tuna and fresh pesto (or sometimes just dried basil, if I dont have any pesto on hand), maybe throw in a few sliced grape tomatoes and give it a sprinkle of parm cheese.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Executive Chef

The real beauty with most of those meals Pacanis, is that you can substitute just about anything you like for anything else you prefer!! So many of them are good fridge cleaners too!! Most can also be done in the microwave and are quick. I try not to use the oven for more than fifteen minutes at a hit for about 1/3 of the year (at least).