Chicken breasts, frozen corn, and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcrx

Cook
I know there is a chicken section here, but I'm just in very much need of inspiration. I REALLY have trouble cooking chicken (oh, boneless skinless chicken breasts to be specific), and so I am sure this will be a re-occuring theme during my time here-maybe? or maybe I'll finally get a handle on this.

Anyway, back from vacation and so all we really have is meats, a couple of eggs, and that frozen corn, maybe a packet of frozen mixed veggies, and frozen edamame. might be some stuff in the pantry, beans or something, and oh, we have a handful of tomatoes. (and of course, spices)

Ok, enough talking. Can somebody help?? Perhaps, help me plan for a few meals with this?? heh hey! stranger things have happened! (ok, I'm jetlagged AND just desperate to get enthusiastic again about cooking.)

Cheers! :chef:

My biggest tip for cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts is to butterfly them, and then use a meat mallet to make them an even thickness from end-to-end, side-to-side. Then, cook them hot and fast. If you don't (yet) have a meat mallet, find something heavy to beat the meat flat. A frying pan works.

The biggest problem with boneless, skinless chicken breasts right from the store is that they are thick in the middle, and thin on the ends. So, by the time you get the center done, the rest of the breast is overcooked. Making them one thickness overall makes everything cook at the same rate, and cuts the cooking time enough to keep the meat moist and tender.

All of that other stuff will make a nice side. Cook the breast, put it aside to rest, and put some oil and/or butter in the pan, and quickly cook the veggies. Dinner in 15 minutes.

CD

Last edited:
caseydog has he right idea.

BS breasts are super lean, and have a safe cooking temperature that everyone is aware of. As a result, lots of folks overcook them (just to be on the safe side), resulting in dry chicken. So the best way to be sure your chicken comes out great is to be careful to not cook them too long.

Cut the breasts in half lengthwise and season both sides with whatever Mexican seasonings you have - onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, Mexican oregano, chili powder, red pepper flakes, S&P. Let sit in the fridge for a while.

Make rice using 1 cup raw rice, 1.5 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup salsa.

Dice an onion and the chicken. Cook the onion in oil for a few minutes till softened. Add the chicken, cook and stir for a few more minutes. Add corn, edamame and mixed veggies. Stir, cover and simmer till chicken is cooked through and veggies are hot. Garnish with cheese if you have some. Serve over rice.

thanks! nice ideas! still i went with cutting them into pieces (well, you might see my other post with the chicken pakora) cuz i dont have a mallet, but i have made small slices before. my chicken breasts are really big, so i often have to quarter them. ANd for the corn, i had to thaw my REALLY frozen corn overnight, and ended up like frying them (oh, but they burnt. bleh!) was going for caramelization, but they just charcoaled. :P

thanks! nice ideas! still i went with cutting them into pieces (well, you might see my other post with the chicken pakora) cuz i dont have a mallet...

Neither do I. I use a small cast iron skillet. Any small, heavy item with a flat surface will work.

Back
Top Bottom