Corn, Fresh Frozen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
This is an ongoing issue with me. We grow and freeze way too much corn for us to reasonably use. I find myself not using it because we have frozen hundreds of one quart bags over the years and I simply am out of ideas of how to prepare it.

What would you do with one quart of corn, please;)

Corn chowder?
The only other thought is to defrost it, dry it and use it for popcorn.

Sudden thought , I have seen corn pancakes before, but enough for a quart of sweetcorn would be over whelming.

It might help if you let us know what you usually do with it so we don't go listing all these things and you sit there saying "been there done that!"
Personally, corn can be added to a lot of recipes. Mix some in your chicken salad or tuna salad. Add it to chili or taco meat. Dump some in a casserole. Corn pudding, corn fritters, corn bread, corn cakes, corn chowder. Add it to veggie soup or chicken noodle soup for something different. Use it on your lettuce salads. Put it in your salsa. Use it in a chutney.

You can make fried corn fritters, corn pudding (doctored up cornbread), chicken corn chowder, crab corn chowder, corn relish, corn salsa, corn salad, add it to casseroles, etc.

I only do two things; corn chowder and a side of corn with butter, s&p. I did try corn pancakes and it used very little corn, about one cup for 8 pancakes.

I would like to see any TNT corn pudding recipes. Have tried one in the past and it was bland. What are corn cakes? And adding corn to corn bread, really? Wouldn't that make it too soupy to bake? Thanks jabbur for the suggestions. I was thinking I do so little with corn that any suggestions would be helpful!

You can make fried corn fritters, corn pudding (doctored up cornbread), chicken corn chowder, crab corn chowder, corn relish, corn salsa, corn salad, add it to casseroles, etc.

Connie, the only corn pudding I tried was not doctored up cornbread, it was corn, eggs, butter, s&p and baked like a casserole. I'll look into salsa!

Corn recipes

Corn Pudding

1 can creamed corn
1 can whole corn
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
3 eggs beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 tsp butter softened or melted
2 Tbs. flour

Mix together and pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

This recipe uses canned corn but you can sub fresh frozen volume-wise
You can make your own creamed corn by running the whole corn through the food processor. You may want to add a bit of liquid like milk to get the right consistency. I usually use Lawry's seasoned salt.

Corn Fritters

1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1 Tbs melted butter
12 oz. corn

Combine dry ingredients - beat together egg, milk, butter and add to dry ingredients. Stir in corn. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Special Creamed Corn

1/3 c butter
1/3 c flour
1 c. whipping cream (or half and half)
1 c. milk
1/4 c sugar
1tsp salt
5 c. frozen corn
1/4 c. Parmesan Cheese

melt butter and stir in flour until smooth - add cream, milk, sugar, salt - bring to a boil and stir for 2 mins. Add corn and heat through. Transfer to a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 3-5 mins until light brown and bubbly.

I love making Corn Relish. There are recipes available both quick & simple refrigerator versions to the more complex cooked & canned version.

There must be a national corn council website or something with tons of recipes for corn.

That is a great idea, I'll look into that.

Grantkat, tortillas are made with a special corn meal, not fresh corn.

pds, that recipe is just what I was hoping to see

thanks again jabbur!!

Uncle Bob, the cutter is set to cut whole kernal, and dh mans the cutter. For the most part it is whole, but there is also a fair amount of milk. It is not intentionally creamed. Got any ideas?

Uncle Bob, the cutter is set to cut whole kernal, and dh mans the cutter. For the most part it is whole, but there is also a fair amount of milk. It is not intentionally creamed. Got any ideas?

The corn is perfect for....

Corn Maque Choux
(Pronounced... Mock Shoe)

2-4 Cups of Corn
1/2 stick Butter or about 3-4 Tbls. bacon drippings
1 medium onion diced
1 medium bell pepper diced (red, green or both)
1 Tomato diced…
2-3 cloves garlic diced fine
1/2 to 3/4 pound of Crawfish, Shrimp, Chicken, Tasso, or Andouille (optional)
Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne, Thyme to taste
1/2-1 Cup Chicken Stock
1/3 Cup Milk/Cream
1 Tbls Sugar...(optional)

Heat the fat in a 10-12 inch pan. Sauté the onion, and pepper over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Add the tomato, salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic, and thyme…Stir for 5 minutes or so. Stir in the corn until well combined….Reduce heat, and simmer adding just enough chicken stock along to cook the corn tender…The mixture will be thick…Add any of the meats or seafood and cook until just done Stir in the milk/cream...and let it reduce by about half. Sugar can be added with the milk if you like…I don’t…

The quantities are just something to go by...When I make this stuff I don measure nuttin! I just shoot from the hip.:LOL: Feel free to add to or delete from. With the addition of the meats, seafood etc. It can be a full meal deal. I usually make it as a side dish.

Enjoy!

okay Uncle Bob, I love the looks of this recipe, especially since I keep all these ingredients in stock....well, except for the crawdads and swimp..:mrgreen:

printed and saved this recipe, many thanks...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom