HELP! Frozen Peas And Corn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
DH had to have surgery and his doctor recommended that I
buy a bunch of inexpensive bags of frozen Peas and Corn
for post-op swelling deduction.

003.jpg

So now that everything is said and done,
I've got 3 bags each (they're quart sized)!

Other than a side dish of Buttered Peas or Corn,

What else can I do with these frozen veg?

Chilli, or Paella, or just mix into Spanish rice, or add some beans, onions, and a vinegar dressing for a bean salad.

Mix peas and corn in a white sauce. Serve over a couple of slices of toast. Or mashed potatoes. A very quick meal for lunch. And easy.
Or go back to your Hawaiian roots. Add them to some of those foods you brought home from your last vacation.

Last edited:
Mix peas and corn in a white sauce. Serve over a couple of slices of toast. Or mashed potatoes. A very quick meal for lunch. And easy.
Or go back to your Hawaiian roots. Add them to some of those foods you brought home from your last vacation.

Addie, I think you missed that memo I sent out a whiles back... DH doesn't do anything "... CREEEEAMY! EEEWWWW!" :LOL:

I do add Peas now and again to Fried Rice, but as a norm, I don't do that

002.jpg

.... but I do draw the line at Carrots :ROFLMAO:

Another good one is my mom's vegetable beef soup.

Put a good browning on chunks of well salted chuck roast in vegetable oil in a stainless steel stock pot. Toss in chunked carrots, celery, and onions. Sweat for a minute or two and scrape up the fond. The liquid from the veggies should be enough. Or you can add some wine. Add beef stock, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, and a coupla bay leaves, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.

Cover and simmer until the beef is getting soft. Add the corn and peas. Simmer just a bit longer, then chuck in some butter to finish.

Last edited:
Sear the corn in a hot cast iron pan to "blacken" it, mix with black beans, and serve as a side to pulled pork. Not as authentic as if you grilled the corn on the cob, but works good enough.

I hope your DH is all better, K-Girl. Nothing worse than a whimpering spouse. ;)

I LOVE corn quesadillas with Stella Fontinella cheese. Thaw the corn and dry on paper towels. Heat a little bit of vege oil in a skillet. Add the corn, a bit of oregano, salt and pepper. Cook over med heat until corn is heated through. Use flour tortillas, sprinkle some cheese on tortilla, spread corn in a more or less single layer, top with more cheese. Cook like you normally would, except use a plate to help you flip to brown the other side because the corn has a tendency to "escape" until the cheese melts on both sides.

I LOVE corn quesadillas with Stella Fontinella cheese. Thaw the corn and dry on paper towels. Heat a little bit of vege oil in a skillet. Add the corn, a bit of oregano, salt and pepper. Cook over med heat until corn is heated through. Use flour tortillas, sprinkle some cheese on tortilla, spread corn in a more or less single layer, top with more cheese. Cook like you normally would, except use a plate to help you flip to brown the other side because the corn has a tendency to "escape" until the cheese melts on both sides.

Man, that sounds good!

I wonder how well peas and carrots would do inside a Mozzarepa.

Himself needs a new title.
Huh? Why? He rather likes that moniker.

BTW, every husband should be a Himself when he is sick. My dear man never complains, makes no demands, and is apologetic when I bring him tea or food. He is a perfect patient.

Sadly, it's the only time he's perfect...[emoji38]

Chicken corn chowdah with bacon. Mexican esquites. Frozen peas in tuna casserole (oops, may be too creamy).

How did I miss this thread? Where do I start?

Were the frozen peas and corn recommended for eating, or placing the bags where the post op swelling was going to happen?

If it is the later, go with whatever is cheapest. I'm thinking a zip lock bag of ice would work, but I can see how frozen peas would be better for covering surface area.

As for eating, what difference does it make whether the peas are frozen or canned. Will it help him heal any faster? If not, go out and buy some fresh peas and cook those for him. It may not ease his pain, but he'll feel loved. As for the corn, well it is out of season, but does DH deserve it? I think so.

Keep us posted. I'll be hoping for his recovery.

CD

Huh? Why? He rather likes that moniker.

BTW, every husband should be a Himself when he is sick. My dear man never complains, makes no demands, and is apologetic when I bring him tea or food. He is a perfect patient.

Sadly, it's the only time he's perfect...[emoji38]

Because of the reference to whimpering spouses. I assumed you were talking about the one you knew best.

Were you referring then to K-girl's hubby?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom