I'm thinking Mexican

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
I have some ground beef, chillies, wraps, cheese, tin of green sauce which I have had before in dishes but not cooked with myself and the usual cupboard ingredients eg. onions black beans, tinned tomatoes or fresh etc.
I want a simple midweek meal for us two. Who's got a good idea please? ;)

Here is what I'd do. I'm kind of making this up, but I've done similar things that turned out great.

- chop up some onions and chiles (and garlic, if you have it), fry over med/high for a few minutes
- sprinkle in a bit of cumin and cayenne, fry for a minute until it smells awesome
- pour in the black beans, and a few splashes of beer
- bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- meanwhile, brown the beef, drain off the fat
- when beans are done, mix in the beef, and salt to taste
- let it cool a bit and mash it up with a potato masher
- scoop it into tortillas with a bit of shredded cheese, and wrap
- bake at 385 or so for 10-15 minutes (until tortillas lightly browned)
- serve with your green sauce and sour cream if you have it

I'm thinking Mexican

But are you thinking it in Spanish or French?

Most Mexican entrees are made with chicken or pork. Very few items are made with ground beef. If I had those ingredients and I wanted simple, I'd put a taco bar together and just let whomever is eating build their own tacos.

Here is what I'd do. I'm kind of making this up, but I've done similar things that turned out great.

- chop up some onions and chiles (and garlic, if you have it), fry over med/high for a few minutes
- sprinkle in a bit of cumin and cayenne, fry for a minute until it smells awesome
- pour in the black beans, and a few splashes of beer
- bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- meanwhile, brown the beef, drain off the fat
- when beans are done, mix in the beef, and salt to taste
- let it cool a bit and mash it up with a potato masher
- scoop it into tortillas with a bit of shredded cheese, and wrap
- bake at 385 or so for 10-15 minutes (until tortillas lightly browned)
- serve with your green sauce and sour cream if you have it

This sounds close to something I've done (including the making it up as I go bit) and I second it as an option. Would be very tasty. Not that enchiladas, taco salad, or a taco bar wouldn't also be tastey.

Another option would be beans and rice cooked with your green sauce, onions, and garlic. Cook your ground beef with some tomatoes and spices (cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic, onion, whatever you have on hand) and a splash of lime if you have it. Serve over or along side the rice and beans.

Thank you very much Guys. I'm going to go with Mattdees idea for a change from the usual. Also, Sirloin, believe me I'm thinking it in English! I wish I was good enough to do it in french or spanish!! The old lingo is coming along though, thanks to some very patient french friends. We had three of them here on Saturday evening for slow roast pork and roast root vegetables as the main course. They love roast dinners here.

Speaking of Mexican food. How can I make/serve the beans along with meat, etc.? Not refrained beans, plain ones?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I should have asked earlier. I already have salsa. I was thinking more like plain beans but maybe jazz it up a bit, i.e. some seasoning and serve it next to rice and meat on the buffet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Here are a few ideas:

Black Beans & Rice

Ingredients:

· 1 Tbs olive oil
· 1 tsp kosher salt
· 1 cup brown rice
· 3 cups chicken broth
· ½ cup onion, chopped
· ¾ cup bell pepper, diced (any color)
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 1 cup prepared black beans
· 1½ cups vegetable broth
· 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
· 1 bay leaf
· ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
· ¼ tsp ground cumin
· 1 scallion, green and white parts, sliced thin on the bias
Instructions:

In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups chicken broth with ½ tsp salt. Bring the broth to a boil, stir in the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

In a sauté pan, heat 1 Tbs olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion and bell pepper until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds. Stir in the black beans, vegetable broth, vinegar, bay leaf, black pepper, cumin, and ½ tsp of salt. Bring the bean mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and add the bean and vegetable mixture to the rice. Place the black beans and rice in a serving bowl and garnish it with sliced scallion.

Pinto Beans with Bacon and Chipotles

Ingredients:

· 1 Tbs olive oil
· 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
· 1 tsp adobo sauce
· 3 slices bacon, diced
· ½ cup chopped onion
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 cups pinto beans, cooked
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· fresh cilantro
Instructions:
Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 2 Tbs of the bacon fat.
Add the chopped onion to the skillet and sauté it until it is translucent and lightly browned. Add the minced garlic and cook 30 to 45 seconds more. Add the chipotles and the adobo sauce to the pan and continue to sauté until the chipotles are heated through.
Add the pinto beans and bacon to the pan and stir to mix. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and garnish with fresh cilantro.

Ranch Style Beans
Ingredients:

· 1 lb dried pinto beans
· 6 ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
· 1 yellow onion, chopped
· 6 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
· 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· 1 Tbs light olive oil
· 1 (15 oz can) crushed tomatoes
· 1 tsp brown sugar
· 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1 tsp cumin
· 1 tsp chili powder
· ½ tsp Mexican oregano
· 1 cup of water
· 6 cups of beef broth
· Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
· Chopped fresh cilantro and scallions cut on the bias for garnish
Instructions:

Soak the beans covered in water overnight, then drain and rinse the soaked beans. Place them in a Dutch oven, cover them with fresh water by about 3 inches. Over high heat, bring the beans to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 3 hours, adding more water as necessary, until the beans are tender. While the beans cook, toast the ancho chiles in a cast iron skillet for two minutes a side, turning once. Put the chiles in a bowl of fresh water and soak them for 30 to 60 minutes, until soft.
In a non-stick pan, heat 1 Tbs of olive oil to shimmering and sauté the chopped onions, bell pepper and jalapeño until the onions are translucent. Add the chopped garlic and sauté for another 30 to 45 seconds, until fragrant. Allow the onions, bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic to cool. Roughly chop the ancho chiles and put them and the sautéed vegetables into a blender jar. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and water to the blender jar and puree until smooth.
Put the pinto beans and beef broth into a heavy pot and stir in the puree. Bring the pot to a boil, stir, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 2½ to 3 hours, until the sauce reaches the desired thickness. Stir in salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Place the Ranch Beans in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro and scallions.

Thank you. Pinto beans sounds like a good idea. Simple, stand alone beans, is just what I need. Awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom