Pizza sauce?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
I have 1 can of diced tomatoes, some V-8 and half a fresh tomato.....can I make some pizza sauce with that
confused246ey1in.gif

thanks

sure, but you`ll have to reduce it quite a bit else it`ll be too "wet".
add some Garlic and Basil to this with a few bay leaves and oregano and leave it to simmer slowly until it goes like a paste.
you can also freeze it if you make too much ;)

if it`s of any use to you for Future ref, I`v found that 3 pounds of tomatoes when cooked down and sieved of the skins and pips, then reduced down to Pizza sauce consistency (to my Own liking), is enough to do 2x 15" pizza bases.

I`m not sure how this compares with shop bought toms though as mine are homegrown as a rule.

V8 reductions are Very nice too, I use that for thick soups ;)

also be very careful when you add salt! you can "hide" Massive amounts of salt in Tom sauces and hardly even notice it`s there, I`m not sure How it works, but don`t go by Taste for salting, if you Can taste it, there is probably a Dangerous amount in there.
Sugar is similar too with Tomatoes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips...I know my meat, but am a complete dunce when it comes to veggies :LOL:

Should I mash the can of diced tomatoes just a bit, or leave them in the bigger chunks like they are in the can?

Yes, I always start my base for beef stew out with V-8..it's great.

You can leave them as is and cook them that way. When the sauce is done, you can use a blender, sitck blender or food procesor to smooth it out. Pizza sauce is typically smooth.

I'd put the tomatos in a pot, take a stick blender to them, then season and simmer. Add the V8 only if it is too thick.

Back
Top Bottom