"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I was also thinking I could dice it up for tacos maybe but am not sure how to go about it.

Keep em coming! All your suggestions are great!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Master Chef

LOL - corazon ... how big is the "chop"?

Old 12-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
LOL - corazon ... how big is the "chop"?
not huge. average size, I suppose.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Head Chef

A taco, fajita thing would work just fine.

Or burritos.

Or black beans and rice with the pork, I would julienne it, and sprinkle the top with raw onions. Some hot sauce on top.

Or how about eggs? A Denver or Western omelet with the pork instead of the ham would work. Cover with a tomato sauce, sounds good to me.

Or make scrambled eggs with mushrooms, spinach, some crumbled bacon and the pork.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

Cube the chop, add sauteed onions, cheese, canned chiles and make quesadillas. Serve with rice and/or refried beans and/or a tossed salad.

Corazon, aren't you from New Mexico? Does dh not like Mexican food? That cuisine is SO versatile!

Lee
Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Cube the chop, add sauteed onions, cheese, canned chiles and make quesadillas. Serve with rice and/or refried beans and/or a tossed salad.

Corazon, aren't you from New Mexico? Does dh not like Mexican food? That cuisine is SO versatile!

Lee
Yep, we are both from NM. That's why I'm thinking along the line of tacos.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #17
Head Chef

When I have leftovers or a small amount of chicken, beef or pork, I make a noodle bowl. Stir fry or steam your veggies (broc, carrots, asparagus - whatever you have on hand). Marinate the chop in soy or teriyaki sauce, slice thinly & stor fry. Add a little corrnstarch to thicken the sauce. Add to noodles of choice - angel hair or spaghetti will work in a pinch. Here's a pic just to get an idea.

Asian Chicken Noodle Bowl With Oriental Salad

Ginger Chicken Noodle Bowl
Old 12-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Stir fry does sound good but we will be having rice for dinner that night too.
Maybe the noodles you suggested amy. I'll check out those links. thanks.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
Cook

We don't know exactly wht you have in the kitchen...but I'm going to assume the basics. I'm thinking German rather than Asian since someone in your family doesn't like Asian foods.

Grate 2 new potatoes and mince 1/4 of an onion. Combine in a bowl and season. Add a little whole butter to a hot pan as well as a few drops of olive oil. Make 2 thin Rosti Potatoes (pancake is size and thickness). Set aside.

If you have some white cabbage, julienne some and saute it off in butter with some julienne of white onion until soft. Season.

Julienne pork and sear until browned well in a hot pan. Add minced onion and minced garlic. Sweat off until soft. Slice mushrooms and add into pan. Brown well. At this point, add just a smidge of flour and cook for a couple of minutes while stirring. if you have some wine, add it in and deglaze. White...red...who cares, just add it. Reduce it and add a little water. Simmer that out for a little bit until a nice, smooth sauce is formed. Finish it off with a touch of whole butter, salt and pepper. Fresh rosemary if you have it would be great.

On two plates, place one Rosti Potato and some cabbage. Spoon the pork in mushroom gravy equally over the potatoes.

You are done!

This is a hearty, winter lunch that will stick with you for a little while. If you want to flesh it out a bit, throw in some frozen peas as you heat your sauce, pork and mushrooms.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, marko! very nice. that sounds delicious.

i love hearty german food. keep 'em coming.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote