Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Devon Potato cake (County of Devon, south-west GB)

Potatoes have always been a major source of carbohydrate in the UK. These 3 recipes show the manner in which they were used as part of the modest working man.

Recipe 1

Devon Potato Cakes

6oz plain flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder (raising agent)
2 oz butter (Devon cows have always been the best ones for producing top quality dairy produce)
6oz mashed potatoes - of the floury type
4oz brown sugar
1/2lb currants
1/2 tsp caraway seeds - optional, not everybody likes them
2 eggs

Oven set at 400° F
Time: 30 minutes

Sift the flour with the spices and baking powder, rub in the butter and add the potato mash sugar, currants and caraway seeds
Add the beaten egg and mix wel; pour the mixture into a well-greased 1-2 in deep baking tin and bake. Once cooked, cut into squares whilst still hot, and serve.

This woud be served either mid-morning or mid-afternoon

Potato Apple Cakes Ireland

These were, and in many areas now encompassing the whole of Ireland and the United Kingdom. The tradition of serving them at Halloween has been resuscitated again.

1lb cold cooked potatoes, i.e. weighed without skin
1oz melted butter
4oz flour
1oz salt
4oz flour or fine oatmeal
1tsp baking powder
1lb peeled sliced and cored apples
4oz sugar
1 oz butter

Mash the cooked potatoes and mix in the melted butter and salt.
Sift the flour with the baking powder and work into the potatoes to make a pliable dough.
Roll the mixture out to a large round, about 1/2 inches thick. Next, cut into quarters and pile the apple mixture on two of the quarters. Top with one each of the remaining quarters, and pinch around the edges to seal firmly.

Bake on a hot griddle until brown on each side. Slice each cake along the rounded edge and turn the top back. Cover the apples with thin slices of butter. Sprinkle with sugar, replace the lid and bake in the oven until the sugar and butter have melted. Cool but keep them warm before eating.

These recipes are very nice in winter, easy to make, ecamonical, and very, very moreish.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Here is the missing recipe n. 3!

Potato Scones Ireland

The Potato Oaten Oatcakes or Pratie Oaten from Antrim are similar to the other recipes in that these use oatmeal instead of flour.

1/2 lb cooked cold potatoes.
1/2 oz melted butter
12 tsp salt
2 oz fine oatmeal.

Mash the cold potatoes and add the melted butter and salt. Work into the mixture as much oatmeal - or flour and baking powder as will make a pliable dough.
Roll out the mixture thinly and prick with a fork. Cut into circles round a plate, then cut into quarters and bake on a griddle for 3 minutes on each side. Serve hot or cold, with butter.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Devon Potato cake (County of Devon, south-west GB)

Potatoes have always been a major source of carbohydrate in the UK. These 3 recipes show the manner in which they were used as part of the modest working man.

Recipe 1

Devon Potato Cakes

6oz plain flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder (raising agent)
2 oz butter (Devon cows have always been the best ones for producing top quality dairy produce)
6oz mashed potatoes - of the floury type
4oz brown sugar
1/2lb currants
1/2 tsp caraway seeds - optional, not everybody likes them
2 eggs

Oven set at 400° F
Time: 30 minutes

Sift the flour with the spices and baking powder, rub in the butter and add the potato mash sugar, currants and caraway seeds
Add the beaten egg and mix wel; pour the mixture into a well-greased 1-2 in deep baking tin and bake. Once cooked, cut into squares whilst still hot, and serve.

This woud be served either mid-morning or mid-afternoon

Potato Apple Cakes Ireland

These were, and in many areas now encompassing the whole of Ireland and the United Kingdom. The tradition of serving them at Halloween has been resuscitated again.

1lb cold cooked potatoes, i.e. weighed without skin
1oz melted butter
4oz flour
1oz salt
4oz flour or fine oatmeal
1tsp baking powder
1lb peeled sliced and cored apples
4oz sugar
1 oz butter

Mash the cooked potatoes and mix in the melted butter and salt.
Sift the flour with the baking powder and work into the potatoes to make a pliable dough.
Roll the mixture out to a large round, about 1/2 inches thick. Next, cut into quarters and pile the apple mixture on two of the quarters. Top with one each of the remaining quarters, and pinch around the edges to seal firmly.

Bake on a hot griddle until brown on each side. Slice each cake along the rounded edge and turn the top back. Cover the apples with thin slices of butter. Sprinkle with sugar, replace the lid and bake in the oven until the sugar and butter have melted. Cool but keep them warm before eating.

These recipes are very nice in winter, easy to make, ecamonical, and very, very moreish.

Hi, di. Flour is mentioned twice in the Potato Apple Cakes recipe. Is 8 oz. the correct amount?

Hi, di. Flour is mentioned twice in the Potato Apple Cakes recipe. Is 8 oz. the correct amount?
I noticed that too. I think it's 4 oz. flour plus either 4 oz. flour or 4 oz. fine oatmeal.

Now we need to find out what fine oatmeal is. I wonder if it is ground up oatmeal.

BTW, for those interested in such things, I have found that 210 degrees F internal temperature is ideal for a baked potato. I use my wired probe thermometer. If I am baking more than one potato, I pick potatoes that are very close in size, and put the probe in one of them.

Oh, and poke holes in your raw potato before baking. Don't ask how I learned that lesson. :rolleyes::mad:

CD

Hi folks! Yet again, my efforts also include errors!

Corrections:

Devon Potato Cake

6 oz flour
6 oz mashed potatoes. Some potatoes are more floury than others, which we refer to as being 'waxy'. You need the floury type for this recipe.

Potato Apple cakes:

1 lb cold cooked and mashed potatoes
4oz either flour or fine oatmeal.

Oatmeal is the flour produced by milling oats down to a fairly fine flour. It's extensively used in Scotland and Ireland as it grows successfully in those climates and is very economical. The flavour adds another dimension to these very traditional and simple cakes.

All material from the book "British Cookery" edited by Lizzie Boyd in 1976.

The cakes referred to are what I call 'very homely.' because the way of serving them is popularly toasting them.

di reston

Enough is never as good as as feast Oscar Wilde

Bumping this potato thread to ask a related potato question..

I seldom use canned veggies.. I have always noticed canned potatoes on the veggie shelf but, have never bought or used them..

Do any of you use them and how do you prepare them for what kind of meal?

Ross

I worked at a place that used to roast them..we rinsed them well, then put them in a pan with hot oil and roasted them at 375 until the were golden..Get your oil heating in the roasting pan for about 5 minutes first so when you put the taters in you get a nice sizzle going right away..bit of salt and pepper won't hurt either..
They went in the buffet table and were used for plate service..

Last edited:
I keep a few cans of them on the shelf because I no longer eat enough fresh potatoes to bother buying a 5 or 10 pound bag.

A nice ta-dah recipe for two people on a snowy night is Cheese Potatoes.

Rinse one can of whole potatoes in boiling water and pat dry.

Make a cream sauce using:

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A good dash of cayenne pepper
6 slices of American processed cheese chopped in small dice. (do not use cheese food)

Bake in a small casserole at 325 or 350 for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and it is bubbling. Great with a ham steak.

You can also make this as a stove top item by adding the drained potatoes to the cream sauce and heating but, I think the time in the oven improves it.

It is very important, for me, to refresh them with the boiling water. I think it removes the tinny canned taste.

Ross,

Buy a couple of cans and experiment with them.

I always buy the whole ones because IMO they have a better texture.

I've fried them for breakfast when camping and also used them to make a quick potato salad at home.

Good luck!

Ross,

Buy a couple of cans and experiment with them.

I always buy the whole ones because IMO they have a better texture.

I've fried them for breakfast when camping and also used them to make a quick potato salad at home.

Good luck!

I will do that..

We don't eat a lot of potatoes so, I seldom have one unless for a planed menu.. Once in a while, I just need a potato.. :)

Ross

I keep a few cans of them on the shelf because I no longer eat enough fresh potatoes to bother buying a 5 or 10 pound bag.

A nice ta-dah recipe for two people on a snowy night is Cheese Potatoes.

Rinse one can of whole potatoes in boiling water and pat dry.

Make a cream sauce using:

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A good dash of cayenne pepper
6 slices of American processed cheese chopped in small dice. (do not use cheese food)

Bake in a small casserole at 325 or 350 for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and it is bubbling. Great with a ham steak.

You can also make this as a stove top item by adding the drained potatoes to the cream sauce and heating but, I think the time in the oven improves it.

It is very important, for me, to refresh them with the boiling water. I think it removes the tinny canned taste.

Good heavens! Spike would rather die if someone said that to him. Cheese! Cheese! and more Cheese!!! That is the rule of his life and it doesn't matter what kind. The first place he heads for when he enters the Market Basket is the cold cut ends. There are always cheese ends there and he gathers up every one he can find.

Personally, as much as I love cheese, I do have to limit my intake. My digestive system is not happy with cheese.

Back
Top Bottom