"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 02-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Vegetable curry?

Hello Im new here and to cooking, so Im hoping someone could be kind enough to dumb it al down for me :)

I want to start making my own curry, preferably one that I can cook once and reheat over 2 or 3 days as my evening meal.

Im hoping to make use of things like
New potatoes (tinned)
Chickpeas (tinned)
Curry Powder
Vegetble oil
Frozen Mix veg ie - Carrots, peas sweetcorn and broccoli.

I have an Aluminium "saute" pan too :)

Last night I tried simply slicing up the potatoes and frying some in veg oil, mixing in the curry powder once I saw the oil starting to bubble, I then added the potatoes (drained and dried) and fried for about 15 minutes.
There was no curry taste, though no stomach ache :D So Im assuming I did okay with the potatoes, but not the use of the powder.
(The only cooking suggestion on the New Potatoes tin was to hob for 4 minutes).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Im concerned about how to know what ingredients will keep for 2 or 3 days after being cooked and cooled, then put in fridge.

Thanks in advance :)

Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Executive Chef

As to the curry powder, it's a lot like salad dressing - there are dozens and dozens of varieties of curry spice. You may like one brand yet not another. And your selection of vegetables can be as varied as there are vegetables. Good luck and enjoy your journey.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Hi, and again, welcome to DC.

I have limited experience cooking curry dishes. so instead of offering advice, here is a pretty good article about how to make a good curry. ( I think that's what I googled.) There are other articles you might find as well.

The Secret of Making Great Curry Dishes

Yes, you can safely refrigerate and save cooked foods in a covered container for several days. Preferably not in your cooking pan, so you can create a little variety with your diet and rotate meals.

With regard to the potato dish you made today, I would suggest you try adding some more curry powder when you warm it up tomorrow. don't know how much you used, but obviously it wasn't enough for your tastes. Just cook it on low to allow the spice to incorporate without burning or overcooking the food as it re-heats.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Executive Chef

This is purely personal taste so don't shoot me down but I tend to use jarred curry pastes rather than powder. Over here there seems to be more varieties of curry paste, eg, korma, madras, etc., than there are of powders. As I live alone and only have curry a couple of times a month I don't usually bother making my own from the basic spices and I find the pastes keep their flavour better than the catch all "curry powder" you find on the supermarket shelf.

I have a bad reaction to hot curries, chilli con carne, etc., I tend mostly to make korma or pasanda or others on that level of "hotness" for my self, although I like a little bit of a "bite". If I'm cooking for guests I usually do a sort of "curry buffet" with different styles of curry - eg one hot, one with no chilli, and one in the middle, plus lots of side dishes, naan and rice.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. I make my own spice blends, but must confess, a friend makes my curry powder for me. I made this last night and it was delish

:Baingan Bartha-Smoked Eggplant recipe | Padhuskitchen

palek paneer is another tasty veggie curry dish:

palak paneer recipe, how to make palak paneer recipe | paneer recipes

I also posted a variation of Marcus Sameulson's chickpea-rhubarb curry. Delish, but I can't find the link right now.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like the curry simmering sauces I am finding in the store lately. They are perfect for me...Shrek won't eat them and they are good for two meals.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for suggestions :)
As things have been so hectic recently I never got started on trying some of the recipes.
The new pan has been used for Omelettes and nothing else :(

Im still struggling to find what I would call "complete" intructions, ie cooking instructions plus how to freeze/recook whats leftover.

Im sticking to the idea of using tinned potatoes and frozen veg, but again havent found any recipes covering both.
RE- sauces Ive bought some tins of HomePride Curry sauces, as they had a longer use by date than any of the other brands, once the tin/jar had been opened.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Head Chef

Wink

Welcome to DiscussCooking. I wish I had more to contribute directly to your question but wanted to thank you for introducing the term hob. I thought it might have been a typo but apparently directions on your canned potatoes use it as a verb meaning to heat up.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLoman View Post
Thanks for suggestions :)
As things have been so hectic recently I never got started on trying some of the recipes.
The new pan has been used for Omelettes and nothing else :(

Im still struggling to find what I would call "complete" intructions, ie cooking instructions plus how to freeze/recook whats leftover.

Im sticking to the idea of using tinned potatoes and frozen veg, but again havent found any recipes covering both.
RE- sauces Ive bought some tins of HomePride Curry sauces, as they had a longer use by date than any of the other brands, once the tin/jar had been opened.
For the home cook without a lot of experience I would recommend Madhur Jaffrey's books. "Curry Easy" is just right for beginner and experienced cook alike. She explains thing clearly and doesn't concentrate on recipes with endless lists of complicated ingredients.

Tags
curry