What to do with frozen berry medley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mosprouts

Assistant Cook
Hi folks,

This is my first post, so please be gentle!

I bought a bag of mixed frozen fruit at the grocery a few months ago. It appears to contain blueberries, raspberries, and strawberry slices. I think I had some sort of ice cream topping in mind when I purchased it, but now that winter is here, I am not quite sure what to do with it. Ditto for a bag of frozen mango pieces. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
'sprouts

Hi mosprouts. Welcome to DC.

First of all, ice cream knows no seasons, so that's still an option.

You could make a mixed berry pie!

...and serve it with ice cream!

Haha... true, Andy. Alas, the only ice-cream I presently have in quantity is flavored of egg nog, and I'm not sure it would accommodate berries very well. I also lack freezer space, which explains why I'm trying to clear out some room before the holidays.

The pie idea is good, but it seems like a meager bag for a whole pie. I guess I could combine both bags, but mixed berry and mango pie sounds too confusing. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

You could also thaw some of it and add to oatmeal in the morning!

You could throw the berries in a blender and add some water and protein powder for a tasty shake!

Berry PIE!!!

Oh and welcome to DC!!

Or make individual tarts. Smoothies. Puree into a sauce for dessert. Defrost, drain and put in the middle of a sponge cake, decorated with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream. Mixed berry daiquiris. Bake into muffins. Make dessert souffles. Make a pavlova, top with the fruit and serve with cream. Make fools. Turn into fruit bars.

As to the mango, all of the above plus mango lassis. Puree and use as a sauce over chicken or pork. Cook the chicken with the mango a la apricot chicken. Make a chutney.

The lists go on and on....

Mixed berries is my fav type of frozen fruit to have around for smoothies. I put a handful into the blender, add banana, a little milk, a few spoons of yogurt and give it a whirl in the blender. Great breakfast!

Also fruit cobblers and crumbles. Brulees. Boil the berries down to make a mixed berry jam (can even do just a small quantity in the microwave). Fillings for crepes/pancakes. Toppings for waffles. Trifle. Mix through sweet boiled rice (it is an English dessert) to serve. A clafouti. Cheesecake topping.

You could blend them up frozen with some simple syrup and rum and have a great mixed berry daiquiri.....

Mango or berry crepes. Top crepes w powdered sugar and whipped cream.

Berry or mango topped french toast, (chocolate) waffles or pancakes.

Fruit smoothies.

Yogurt or pudding parfaits - layer the mixed berries or mangos between dollops of yogurt/pudding, top w whippeed cream.

Trifle

Fruit Pizza - refrigerated sugar cookie dough for the crust, bake cool, spread w cream cheese & top w fruit.

Last edited:
I think most of my ideas have gone - crumbles, cooked fruit topping for pancakes. You could be adventurous and use them to make a fruity sauce for duck or venison - I think the berries would work well in that.

Both would also work well in a smoothie.

Make a pudding based on Eve's Pudding - basically a fruit base topped by a sponge mix and served hot. You don't need a lot of fruit for that.
Eves Pudding

Ingredients

500g cooking apples
50g soft brown sugar
125g cooking margarine
125g sugar
2 eggs
125g self raising flour
1 tbsp hot water

Method

1. Set the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
2. Put the apples into a saucepan, with a very little water, and cook for a few minutes until tender, Stir, and ensure it does not burn.
3. Put the apples into the ovenproof dish, and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
4. Cream the margarine with the sugar, until light and fluffy.
5. Beat the eggs in a bowl, Add to the cake mixture, a little at a time.
6. Fold in the flour, and then the hot water
7. Pour over the apples and smooth with metal spoon.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown

This would work really well with either bag.

Last edited:
Wow! Some really really amazing suggestions, especially from Bilby! I actually have some yogurt on hand, so I think half the mango will become a smoothie (oddly, somehow not as unseasonable as ice cream) and the other a chutney. There were so many awesome suggestions for the berries, I might have to go get another bag to try them all out! So much for making room in the freezer!

Thank you, everyone.

Cheers,
'sprouts

We keep a bag of berries CONSTANTLY in our freezer for two things:

1. We make smoothies
2. We pour some in a bowl and top with evaporated milk and have it as an alternative to high sugar desserts. You could use cream or whatever, but we like the evaporated milk.

I have also made tarts in the past with these berries.

Smoothies
Oatmeal addition
Pie filling

Those are the three I read several times and the way I use mine all the time. I think I also read to use them in a blender and add rum...sort of a berry daiquiri idea. I know its winter, but have a theme party and crank up the heat.

Make some baking powder biscuits and divide them each in two... put some berries between the pieces of biscuit and top with your eggnog ice cream. Call it Mixed Berry Shortcake. Wow your dinner guests -- even if it's just hubby and the kids! :)

Back
Top Bottom