"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Head Chef

There are many simple ways to dress up rice. Given you are in Kuwait, you should get your hands on middle eastern and indian ingredients easily. I was not clear if you were just looking for general ideas or more southern or american ways of preparing rice.

I am Indian so here are a few things I can share:

Just some oil and let it heat, when it's really hot, throw in a couple of bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and tbsp of cumin seeds. Reduce the heat and then add some chopped green chili and garlic. Put in rinsed and washed basmati rice (drain the water first), some salt, water and let it all cook. Extremely flavorful rice. You can throw in frozen vegetables, fava beans etc to this along with some chopped mint, cilantro etc and it will make it into what we called a pulao or you may call a pilaf.

You can also add cooked lentils (I cook it aldente similar to rice, drain, season it with spices of my choice and mix it with the rice) to your rice and it's almost a whole meal served with a side or yogurt raita (it's basically yogurt with chopped onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and herbs)

Fried rice - You can easily make it with cooked and shredded chicken which is available in the middle east along with vegetables of your choice, egg, soy and hoisin sauce.

Lamb is available in plenty there so if you are adventurous look up a biryani recipe (It's a good amount of work) and try it out. It's worth all the effort. You can think of it as a paella of India.

All the best

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
Flour Child

If you click on "Off Topic Forum" under "General Forums" on the blue bar above and then scroll down to my thread called "Favorite Animated Shorts" you will find a stop-motion youtube video of a Thai Rice Recipe that looks DELISH...with coconut and salmon

I'll see if I can get the link and post it here too. The song in the background is annoying but if you have a healthy sense of humor then that helps a little

Here it is but you have to click on "Watch on Youtube" because it says it's embedded...just click on the underlined words though and it'll happen:

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Rice pilaf
Chinese Fried Rice
Risotto
Paella
Jambalaya
Old 04-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
Everymom

"Toast" the rice first by sauteeing in some oil til its golden, then pour any kind of broth over it. Brings out a lovely nutty flavor. I often add toasted slivered almonds too.

I'm not sure what kind of rice you have available, but my family is currently thoroughly enjoying a Wild Rice Blend that has several whole grains in it.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I like to use different liquids to make my rice (and other grains). Chicken stock is one that many people already do. A favorite of mine though is cranberry juice (cut with some water). It tastes great and can look great too.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
Head Chef

I like to make a saffron rice with garlic, peppers, and onions.. When the rice is cooked I add (chopped and seeded) diced tomatoes.. It is yummy!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
There are many simple ways to dress up rice. Given you are in Kuwait, you should get your hands on middle eastern and indian ingredients easily. I was not clear if you were just looking for general ideas or more southern or american ways of preparing rice.

I am Indian so here are a few things I can share:

Just some oil and let it heat, when it's really hot, throw in a couple of bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and tbsp of cumin seeds. Reduce the heat and then add some chopped green chili and garlic. Put in rinsed and washed basmati rice (drain the water first), some salt, water and let it all cook. Extremely flavorful rice. You can throw in frozen vegetables, fava beans etc to this along with some chopped mint, cilantro etc and it will make it into what we called a pulao or you may call a pilaf.

You can also add cooked lentils (I cook it aldente similar to rice, drain, season it with spices of my choice and mix it with the rice) to your rice and it's almost a whole meal served with a side or yogurt raita (it's basically yogurt with chopped onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and herbs)

Fried rice - You can easily make it with cooked and shredded chicken which is available in the middle east along with vegetables of your choice, egg, soy and hoisin sauce.

Lamb is available in plenty there so if you are adventurous look up a biryani recipe (It's a good amount of work) and try it out. It's worth all the effort. You can think of it as a paella of India.

All the best
These are just the kind of ideas I was hoping to get, thanks Yakuta! I have picked up many Indian and Middle Eastern spices and I'm trying to learn how to cook with them because I love love LOVE Indian/Arabic cuisine. Love biryani, it's one of my staples whenever I go out for Indian food (that and garlic naan...). I'd love to learn how to cook both.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
If you click on "Off Topic Forum" under "General Forums" on the blue bar above and then scroll down to my thread called "Favorite Animated Shorts" you will find a stop-motion youtube video of a Thai Rice Recipe that looks DELISH...with coconut and salmon
Oh I'm gonna have to check that one out....my boyfriend and I are both bananas for Thai food. I grew up on Cajun cooking so I really enjoy spicy food. He is something else though. If I like my food raging volcano fire hot....his taste is closer to nuclear. I am slowly getting accustomed to making our dinners a compromise of suitable spiciness.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
My mom used to make that a lot and I fully agree it is tasty. I wonder what I would need if I wasn't going to use a canned soup but all fresh ingredients from scratch....
Saute' 4 ounces of chopped mushrooms and about 2 ounces of diced onion in 3 tablespoons olive oil or butter. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and cook until slightly golden. Stir in cream, half&half or milk until thickened (about 2 cups, depending how thick you like your mushroom soup) salt and pepper to taste. Then continue with rice dish.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Beautiful! Thanks!