Blue Berry....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DouglasMB

Assistant Cook
ok so a friend of mine that owns a cupcake shop talked me into joining with here in a blue berry contest at a local festivle. Why i am doing this I really do not know.

So i have been scouring the interwebs (insert laugh here) and I have decided I want to try something realativly different. but i need help with how to substitute something.

I am not a cheff just a glorified fat kid in a mans body that enjoys his own food a little to much. Baking and deserts are not my favorites but I tend to do well with them and my family and friends love it.

So every year I make a pumpkin log, its amaizing and I get people more and more each year who want one... two... three... as many as I am willing to make.

So I want to sping that idea because i know I am realitivly good at that.

The pumkin log is basically a pumkin space cake of sorts using freash pumkin with a cream cheese frosting centing.

What i want to attempt is a blueberry spice log... I got the idea when I threw a handfull of blueness into my oatmeal and it was good lol. but with the cream cheese frosting I want to maybe add a little lemon.

So I have said all of that to say this... I am using freash berries in place of the pumpkin... should i throw them in a mixer? just chope em up? drop em in whole? i was thinking i would need something the same consistancy as the pumpkin puree that i use... but anyone have anythoughts?

thank you for reading this if you made it this far.

Probably need to put alot of gelitan in your puree to firm it up enough to roll. I would play around with the qty and let it firm up a tray. You can then slice squares to to roll up. Maybe someone has a better plan. I am just guessing.

firm to roll? hummm I guess I am missing something... the blue berry will be added to a batter and baked in a flat pan. cooled... rolled.... unrolled.... add filling.... roll again... wrap... stored in fridge untill eaten and to let it take form. this is how I do my pumpkin logs...

but thank you for the comment I will do a little looking to see how well gelitan added to a batter bakes it might just do the trick.

Take 2 blueberry muffin mixex and make batter according to directions, except add 2 extra eggs. Line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into the pan and bake at 350' F. for 35 minutes. Test with a toothpick to verify that the cake is done.

While the cake is baking, make a vanilla buttercream frosting.
Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, room temperature
8 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup blueberry jam
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Combine the milk and confectioner's sugar in a pot, or microwave save bowl. stir to combine. Heat to about 110'F. (hot chocolate temperature) and stir to dissolve the sugar into the milk. Att the butter and whip together with a wire whisk until cool, smooth, and creamy. Fold in the blueberry jam.

When the cake is cool, spread with the blueberry frosting. Sprinkle fresh blueberries evenly over the cake. Jelly-roll the cake. Glaze or dust with powdered sugar.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

firm to roll? hummm I guess I am missing something... the blue berry will be added to a batter and baked in a flat pan. cooled... rolled.... unrolled.... add filling.... roll again... wrap... stored in fridge untill eaten and to let it take form. this is how I do my pumpkin logs...

but thank you for the comment I will do a little looking to see how well gelitan added to a batter bakes it might just do the trick.

Another approach could be adding the fruit to the filling with whipped cream, lemon curd or pie filling, i.e.

blueberry cake log duncan hines - Bing Images

strawberry cake roll - Bing Images

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/rosemary-lemon-cake-roll/3f4a2c68-84f2-41b1-b33f-09885e3c1444

Last edited:
I'm not sure the berries need chopping up. I was going to suggest that if you put the blueberries in a cake, that you simply use some of the required flour and coat the berries, before stirring the berries into the cake batter.

Or. You could make a jelly roll cake with whatever flavors, cinnamon, nutmeg etc, bake and then use a thickened blueberry filling and roll it up. I don't know about fillings, but for pie, you could either use a little cornstarch or tapioca as a thickening agent. Cook and cool before filling. Frost with your cream cheese and there you are.

Lots of great ideas... now to figure out how not to gain weight after I bake a few logs up and tweak what I need to before the contest

Another great filling idea would be to make a Pastry Cream, with crushed blueberries folded in until smooth. I think this would give it a superb texture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I must have misread or missed the cake reference. I was thinking you doing more like a mousse roll where the outer layer was the consistancy of pumpkin.

Back
Top Bottom