Bread and milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheProphecy

Assistant Cook
Can I substitute all purpose flour for bread flour when making plain and simple white bread? What about milk for buttermilk when making pancakes?

Yes to the AP flour for bread. No for the milk instead of buttermilk. Put a tsp of lemon juice (per 1/2 cup milk) in the milk first and sour it.

Usually, a pancake recipe that calls for buttermilk also contains a leavening agent of some kind (baking powder or baking soda) that requires the acid in the buttermilk to activate it. Souring fresh milk with vinegar or lemon juice will give you the acid lacking in fresh milk.

1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar per 1 cup of milk ... give it 10 minutes to do it's thing.

Last edited:
Can I substitute all purpose flour for bread flour when making plain and simple white bread?
Yes, if you want to. I've done this from time-to-time, when I simply wanted to hand-make some bread and that was all I had in the cupboard.

What about milk for buttermilk when making pancakes?
I make my own pancakes with lacto-free milk. This is regular milk for all intents and purposes. I don't attempt to sour the milk. I add self-raising and an egg, and the results are just fine.

If you have a specific taste-expectation, this may not work for you. I'd spent 4 long hard years without a single pancake worthy of the name. Apparently nobody in Europe knows how to make proper pancakes. Eventually I was forced to get into cooking just so I could make my own.

you cannot sub for an equal product. not to say it won't be a GREAT product in & of itself!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom