Sub for pkg Italian dressing for recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
Here's a recipe for a festive salad that I plan on making for Christmas dinner, and I can't find an "envelope of Italian salad dressing mix" that it calls for. I wish it would specify what size package that it means, also, as I imagine it's an American recipe, and I'm Canadian. I can't find a package of Italian salad dressing mix, so what can I use? I picked up two packages (28 gms ea) of pasta salad dressing mix (Club House) and on the package it says that you only need to combine it with 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. The recipe for the salad is below, so I'm wondering if I should just treat the package the same as the Italian one they quote.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

3 tablespoons water
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
2 (10 ounce) packages Italian-blend salad greens
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup dried cranberries

The first four ingredients are just one way to make salad dressing. So, see if you can find a bottle of blasamic Italian dressing and use that. Omit the oil, vinegar, water and envelope of dressing mix.

If you can't find balsamic Italian, pick a similar dressing and use that.

Extra virgin olive oil, balsamic, crushed garlic to taste, salt and fresh black pepper and maybe [if it was for me] a little honey. Sal.

The first four ingredients are just one way to make salad dressing. So, see if you can find a bottle of blasamic Italian dressing and use that. Omit the oil, vinegar, water and envelope of dressing mix.

If you can't find balsamic Italian, pick a similar dressing and use that.

If you want a balsamic vinegar that is close to the original from Modena, dump a bottle of balsamic into a pan and simmer down till it is thick and syrupy. :chef:

Thanks for the responses.

I really appreciate the time you all took to help me out. I ended up using the packaged dressing that I had with the other ingredients and it turned out very nicely. The salad is really good. It went over very well.

Thanks again,
Jovin

Back
Top Bottom