Tarragon Substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayswatergirl

Assistant Cook
I am looking at making this marinade for chicken

1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

I do not have any tarragon and live 30min from a grocery store and looking to find a substitute to use for tonight. I only have thyme and oregano. wondering if i could use either one of them?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tarragon is an herb that has sort of a licorice flavor to it. I think a reasonable substitute would be either sweet anise or ground fennel. Basil would be another option.

Marjoram would be a good substitute, as would a mixture of parsley and fennel because fennel has a much stronger anise taste than tarragon does.

I am looking at making this marinade for chicken

1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

I do not have any tarragon and live 30min from a grocery store and looking to find a substitute to use for tonight. I only have thyme and oregano. wondering if i could use either one of them?

Thanks for your help in advance.

That is a very basic marinade that is designed to use any herb you think tastes good.

Thyme is such a nice all-purpose herb. Oregano has a much stronger flavor. Taste a bit of each, and see what you like best.

The OP has only thyme and oregano on hand.
Yeah... I should learn to read all the way through. :rolleyes:

In that case, thyme is probably the better choice. It doesn't taste like tarragon, but it's an herb used a lot in French cooking and a better accompaniment (IMO) to chicken and the other ingredients in the marinade.

Anise, fennel (stronger flavour than tarragon), marjoram. thyme, or basil can be subbed for tarragon. Fresh tarragon freezes nicely so the next time you see it fresh in the store, you can buy it and either dry it or freeze it. If you buy a plant, French (the perennial--it goes dormant in the fall and in the house) is better than Russian (an annual). Where I am, the nursery is selling herbs for 60% off. It is a good time of year to buy herb plants at the nursery. Although herb plants like light, heat is not an issue. My rosemary does great at 64-68 degrees F. I mist the herbs daily--that seems to be the key to keeping them alive and producing during the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom