"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 08-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Why not get a few of these little guys: Glass Pinch Bowls. They're perfect for heating small quantities of whatever - I use mine mainly to melt small amounts of butter - and they're also good for holding prepared or measured components of a recipe. They don't take up a lot of space in your cupboard or dishwasher, either.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

I do have those, but again it goes against what I want to accomplish as it will require cleaning another dish.

There seems to be some confusion of what I am looking for and that is probably my fault for not being clear so let me try to explain what I am and am not looking for.

1. I want a way to keep my coffee as hot as it it were from a drip pot.
2. I do not want to use a drip pot. I want to use the cold brewed coffee I make.
3. I do not want to use the microwave if at all possible because I feel this changes the taste.
4. I do not want to dirty additional dishes to accomplish this.
5. I do not want to buy additional items to do this.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
Senior Cook

My suggestion was only to replace the measuring cup you used with success (as reported in your recent post) with something smaller - because I do understand that you didn't want an extra dish to wash (and the rest of it). If you already have those, then you wouldn't need to buy anything.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #34
Everymom

GB, I am LMAO at this whole thread. Seems to be a whole lot of trouble for something that should be so simple. You are truly a foodie my friend. Frankly, I love my coffee and am even a bit snobbish about it but there is no way I would go to that much trouble for it. I can barely function in the morning without it and often stand staring at the coffeepot/kettle or whatever I'm using that morning and think in my head "COME ON ALREADY!"

OK, I had another thought and you can tell me what you think of this one. I seem to recall you have a coffeemaker do you not? Why don't you use that with your concentrate? Yes you would have the coffeepot to wash, but you will have that one extra dish no matter what you do. Just put the concentrate in the pot and let the coffeemaker work as usual. You will get smoking hot coffee made with your cold brewed concentrate, and it will be on the hot pad to keep it warm (or in a carafe to keep it warm). Will that work?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, I had another thought and you can tell me what you think of this one. I seem to recall you have a coffeemaker do you not? Why don't you use that with your concentrate? Yes you would have the coffeepot to wash, but you will have that one extra dish no matter what you do. Just put the concentrate in the pot and let the coffeemaker work as usual. You will get smoking hot coffee made with your cold brewed concentrate, and it will be on the hot pad to keep it warm (or in a carafe to keep it warm). Will that work?
You're a genius.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

I know I am being a picky pain in the you know what guys so thanks for putting up with me. apple*tart I understand what you are saying, but the measuring cup was something I tried, but did not want as a final solution.

Alix, the drip pot would not make sense as that would cook the concentrate negating any benefit from doing the cold brew.

I love that you guys have all tried to find solutions to my problem. You all rock for that. Really though, what I was trying to find out is if the coffee would go bad if left out. I knew I was not going to find another solution that would work for me, but I do appreciate all the effort, really!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #37
Senior Cook

No problem, I completely understand about getting things the way you want it.

I wouldn't nix Alix's coffeemaker idea so quickly, though. I think it's worth a shot. From what I've read and understood, the unique taste of the cold-brewed coffee comes from the cold-brewing process and what it extracts (and doesn't extract) from the beans. Heating it shouldn't negate that, because it's already done. It's worth a shot. You could even allow the carafe to fill up a bit and then add the extract, so that the extract doesn't sit in bare glass on the hot plate. Why not give it a shot? You might like it.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #38
Sous Chef

One final thought, how about microwaving the mug until it's warm to the touch, then adding the hot water from the kettle and the cold concentrate?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #39
Executive Chef

GB, since you are being picky, could I ask a question? What is the food on your avatar? Does it go well with coffee? See I didn't venture far from the coffee subject.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #40
Head Chef

OK, I know coffee doesn't get moldy overnight, so why not just put enough concentrate on the counter the night before?