"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #31
Senior Cook

A small kitchen oil fire is nothing compared to the conflagration created when gallons of oil spill onto a large flame such as that from a turkey fryer. Flour would be like trying to hold back the ocean with a broom. And as Selkie mentioned, it's very explosive in an environment like that.
Water - no reason to wet down the ground. That is just inviting a slip hazard. A 12-15 lb turkey on that thing you need to lower it into the oil is a bit of a handling chore in the best of conditions. Adding the risk of slip and fall isn't a good idea. And if there is a water hose at the ready, one will likely reach for it first to try and put out the fire.
Don't tempt fate with either of those items and just have a rated fire extinguisher at the ready. Technically all one needs is one rated "B" for liquids, but an all purpose ABC will work just fine.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Please make sure to listen to Selkies advice and do NOT use flour or wet the area around the fryer. Both of those practices are extremely dangerous and could result in death.

This is a great post. It is a number of years old, but the information is still great. Take a look. The 10 Commandments When Frying Turkey.

Don't talk your husband out of doing it. Do make sure he is educated in proper technique and safety first though. Make sure to cook it away from the house. Make sure you have safety equipment close by (fire extinguisher rated for oil fires, heavy heatproof gloves, proper clothing that is not loose fitting, phone to call 911, etc.). Even the smallest drop of water can cause serious problems so make sure the turkey is dry dry dry before it goes in the fryer. GO SLOW. Do NOT drop it into the pot. Lower it very very slowly. The oil will bubble up as soon as the turkey hits the oil. Put it in slowly so oil does not splash out. Do NOT be drunk when doing this. Thanksgiving is a great time to knock back a few, but you do not want to be tipsy when doing this. If you are not OK to drive a car then you are not OK to fry a turkey.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #33
Head Chef

Geesch !!! Calm down !! ok let me clarify -
I did not mean or say to wet whole yard down so it turns into a slip and slide. I meant if your lawn is dry, "being the time of the year" wet your lawn well in advance before you start so that it isn't as dry and possiable start a fire. if you wet it down well in advance the ground will absorb the water and make the lawn safe. Especially if you have leaves around. And the flour works if you don't dump the whole dang bag at once creating a dust storm turning into a dust explosion. A little common sense is needed. A fire extinguiser is the best. But if you didn't have one it is another idea or even baking soda etc. Now everyone calm down and just use common sense!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

Im sorry letscook, but your advice is still wrong and potentially very very dangerous. Wetting the lawn will NOT do anything to keep the fire from spreading. It will actually promote the fire to spread. You are suggesting practices that can get people hurt or even killed which is why people are responding to you as they are. Oil and water do not mix. If you try then they combine violently spreading the fire, not extinguishing it. And if you have ever seen a fire from a turkey fryer then you will know that there is no way you would be able to get close enough to use just a little.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #35
Head Chef

Enough! Geesch !! I don't speak just to speak. I have alot of trees and leaves . I am not saying to put out an oil fire with water that is as dumb as dumb can get. again I am talking about preventive measure for a grass fire of leaf fire if you are doing it on your lawn -- a driveway is the best place . I am saying wet down your lawn WELL in advance to wet ground not soak it so you have puddles Like i said i have alot of trees and leaves, we try to have them all raked up prior but some are still falling. so HOURS- hours before cooking the turkey we wet the ground let is SOAK in -SOAK in and then we have made preventive measure not to set any leaves or lawn on fire.
the ground is not slippery - we have a fire extinguser on hand also. You have a burner under the pot that has a fire going. Heat to dry leaves /lawn not a good thing.
This is a friendly forum lets keep this way and drop the dang whole subject.
I also do not want anyone hurt or intend to make light of deepfrying.
Lets settle this once and for all -I have done many turkeys without any problems as I read the booklet that came with our cooker and we take precautions.
So I suggest to anyone that want to do this - READ your Hand book and the saftey suggestion in the book. Purchase a fire extinguser prior to cooking your bird.
On a another note I rather have my thanksgivng turkey done in the oven and deep fried turkey at another time of the year.