"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Gee Medtran, you are lucky if all you get is a migraine. I have a full blown allergy to some shell fish. I immediately get stomach sick and start tossing it right away, even before I can get up from the table. The last time that happened they had to call 911 for me and off I went to get my stomach pumped and my whole system pumped with medications. It turned into a two day stay at the hospital. The migraine came after I had it all out of my stomach. Then the only thing that would end the migraine was to toss some more with the dry heaves that lasted for a couple of hours. It was scallops that time.

Needless to say, I am really careful eating shell fish today. The only kind I have never had a reaction to is fried clams, and boiled lobster meat. Baked lobster also makes me sick. I will eat the fried clams when I am out, but lobster only if at home and those critters are alive when they go into the pot. The price of lobsters should be going down pretty soon, so it looks like lobster rolls will be on my plate real soon.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #22
Head Chef

I would not call going temporarily blind lucky but....

Old 05-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I remember one time I ate a funky tasting one, and sure enough, later that evening I got the cramps in the lower intestines, then it came out quicker than it went in. Nothing too bad, however. I still eat them from time to time and will continue to do so...
Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I would not call going temporarily blind lucky but....
I don't ever think I have had a migraine that was blinding. I do become extremely sensitive to light and any noise. The worst one I ever had was for four days. That one was from becoming so seasick that I spent the four days in the hospital. Sunburnt, heat stroke and a host of other problems along with the migraine.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't ever think I have had a migraine that was blinding. I do become extremely sensitive to light and any noise. The worst one I ever had was for four days. That one was from becoming so seasick that I spent the four days in the hospital. Sunburnt, heat stroke and a host of other problems along with the migraine.
Addie, just because you've never experienced the blinding effects of a migraine, doesn't mean others haven't. Saying that they are 'lucky' because they haven't gone through the same experience as you, is a little insensitive.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #26
Master Chef

Once again Addie, you show your true colors for all to see. Amazing!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Addie, just because you've never experienced the blinding effects of a migraine, doesn't mean others haven't. Saying that they are 'lucky' because they haven't gone through the same experience as you, is a little insensitive.
Did you see the word "literally" at all in my post? Picky, picky, picky! You need to stop finding so much fault with the posts of other members.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I was at my grandkids school the other day.
They seemed to get along much better than some of you do here. They were all about 5 or 6 years old.
Its like its a contest in here sometimes.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I was at my grandkids school the other day.
They seemed to get along much better than some of you do here. They were all about 5 or 6 years old.
Its like its a contest in here sometimes.
And the wheels on the bus go round and round.

Excellent observation but be sure to notice the playbill.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #30
Head Chef

Two movies that make me crave oysters on the shell everytime I watch them.

"Hard Times" 1975. Starring Charles Bronson, James Coburn. The scene where Charles Bronson's character first meets James Coburn. James is having a bunch of oysters on the shell in a New Orleans diner during the Depression.

"The Cincinnati Kid" 1965. Starring Steve McQueen and Edward G. Robinson. Robinson has come to town for the big poker game. In his hotel room, the waiter brings in a roll cart full of oysters on sterling silver tray.

Everytime I view those scenes, I suddenly have this desire for oysters on the shell.

Tags
eating, oysters