"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not sure as I do not use anything but Dawn Dish Soap and it says right on the back do not use with bleach. Dawn has ammonia and it is the chlorine/Ammonia mixture you want to avoid, read the ingredient list on the back of the bottle. No ammonia, no problem. But, I do love the superior clean of Dawn. It's just your use of bleach in the soak soak and rinse cycle in which you would not use the Dawn. When you actually wash, use the Dawn then.

Also, one cap full of bleach to a gallon of water gives you plenty of disinfectant power. It is all that is needed according to kitchen safety rules from the Health department.
And she is a nurse. So I would listen to her advice.

I never knew Dawn had ammonia in it. Yet it is used when there is an oil spill. Wouldn't the ammonia be harmful to the animals as they wash them off?

Yup! Just checked my unopened bottle of Dawn.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'm with princess here - 1/4 cup bleach is overkill, it won't kill any more nasties than a capful will. I have a quart sized spray bottle I keep under the sink with a tsp of bleach per quart of water. I use it to spritz and wipe the counter tops and areas when I've been cutting up raw chicken.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And she is a nurse. So I would listen to her advice.

I never knew Dawn had ammonia in it. Yet it is used when there is an oil spill. Wouldn't the ammonia be harmful to the animals as they wash them off?
There is not enough ammonia to be harmful on it's own. It is the chlorine/ammonia mixture that is harmful. Mixing Chlorine and Ammonia
Old 09-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

A cap full to a gallon is OK but if you are filling a sink, you'll need more. I would use just bleach and water. It doesn't have to be hot water, that will just make the bleach oxidize faster.

So bleach and water to sanitize then drain and wash dishes as usual.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Ok, so you all don't agree with me, which is fine, your opinion, but that's how I do it.

I'm a fanatic when it comes to cleaning. I clean my kitchen every day after I use it, stove, counter tops, everything...refrigerator handle, microwave handle, etc.

Doesn't take long because I keep it clean. I want to wake up and find everything in it's place and cleaned up. Coffee is made and on the timer, dishes never sit in the sink, counters never have clutter on them, that's just me and I realize everyone isn't like this. We all have our thing and that's how I do it. Yes, I'm a bit anal about cleaning. Don't get me started about vacuuming, LOVE IT!

Enjoy the evening!

FF
Old 09-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Ok, so you all don't agree with me, which is fine, your opinion, but that's how I do it.
There are opinions and there are facts. I think opinions should be based on facts and logic, but not everyone agrees It's a fact that, chemically, a capful of bleach per gallon of water will sanitize the kitchen. Using more than that is unnecessary and wasteful.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not sure I would let that friend stay at your house again! If he can't even wash his own dishes, I'm not sure I'd let him take care of my dog, cat, or gerbil.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Not sure I would let that friend stay at your house again! If he can't even wash his own dishes, I'm not sure I'd let him take care of my dog, cat, or gerbil.
Yeah, some friend.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #19
Head Chef

If your sink has a disposal, it's probably pretty putrid by now too. You can buy disposal cleaner packets that you drop in, have a trickle of hot water running, then run the disposal for about 4-5 minutes.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:32 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There are opinions and there are facts. I think opinions should be based on facts and logic, but not everyone agrees It's a fact that, chemically, a capful of bleach per gallon of water will sanitize the kitchen. Using more than that is unnecessary and wasteful.
Probably but my sink holds a lot more than a gallon of water and I fill the sink. Maybe one half is too much but I definitely use a quarter cup and let the water sit for a good half hour. It sparkles. I don't do the bleach very often, no need to as I use disinfectant spray a couple times a day. i also clean my garbage disposal with baking soda and vinegar followed by hot water and lemons. I've bought the disposal cleaners packs but found the baking soda and vinegar work just as well.