Egg storage - how long, how cold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back many, many moons ago when we were on long cattle drives from Lonesome Dove Texas up to the Powder River country in Montana we kept our eggs in the chicken:ermm:
We had as many as 2 dozen hens on a drive..each one in there own coop...If one didn't pay their way... into the stew pot she went....:LOL:

Glad everything turned out good for your camp out Miss Janet......

Instead of using bags of ice, try Ice packs. Make sure they have been frozen solid for a few nights. They work great for camping! They last alot longer than bagged ice- and you can reuse them! :)

I have taken eggs on camping trips, for over a week at a time. Keep the container that the eggs are in, in a shady cool place if its sunny/warm out. If there is a creek nearby, you can put the container in that(a rubbermaid tote works good), and put a few rocks on top to keep it down. Depends on the creek, etc. But all I have ever use are ice packs.

I agree with Stikinecook, packs of ice will be longer than bags of ice. Just remember, it should be frozen solid as white in color not transparent. And also, it is better to maintain it with a temp not will be higher than 12 C. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom