"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't wear a seatbelt..... Can I base my decision on whether to offer up the chili on that? (lol)

I suppose this is a good time to clean my shelves. The only thing left in the fridge is yeast, powdered milk, the cheddar and cream cheeses, the chili and the pico. And I imagine I'll toss the cheeses and chili, too.... I am so sad.... and PO'd.
And now I have to clean off my vehicle and make a trip into Wally World.... on a Sunday! How awful is that?! I'll be the one without a turkey in my cart.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
Head Chef

Geez, Fred, go ahead and eat the danged chili if you want, but WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!!!

You have a good shot at living if you get food poisoning, but if you're tossed out of your vehicle by some nutjob who smacks into you, not so much. And it costs you nothing!!

Lee

Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Pacanis. Cheeses are preserved milk, so even fresh types won't go bad after such a short time. Same for the pico de gallo. Was the chili ever completely chilled?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
Master Chef

Strictly speaking, GB is right. But I have eaten chili that has sat out all night at 50-60 degrees, and it was fine. If you're going to do that, though, heat it to boiling and let it bubble for 15-20 minutes first.
Your cheeses will be fine.

My husband used to race, and one thing he taught me: wear your seat belt! I know when I pulled out of the bread store and totaled my car, I would have been all ever the place if I hadn't had mine on. Instead, the only place I was sore was where the seat belt held me in place.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I know when I pulled out of the bread store and totaled my car, I would have been all ever the place if I hadn't had mine on. Instead, the only place I was sore was where the seat belt held me in place.
If you were baking your own bread, you would not have put yourself in harm's way.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #16
Master Chef

oh, wow, I feel your pain..........you didn't happen to stick a food thermometer in it did you? This is one situation where I'd be reluctant to advise cause people vary in their responses and sensitivity to different toxins (look at Rasputin----they gave him enough arsenic to kill 10 men and he just burped) I'm with GB if it were me........I'd keep that seatbelt on.....but I can understand how you don't want to throw it out after all that hard effort and take the risk anyway......hope that all works out whatever decision you make.......
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
If you were baking your own bread, you would not have put yourself in harm's way.
I thought there was a saying out there that men could not live by bread alone.........however, women were not mentioned
Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Smarty Pants!

I have never mastered the art of bread making, and now I'm too crippled up to worry about it.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
Senior Cook

If you ever had the misfortune to suffer from food poisioning, you'd toss the chili instead of your cookies.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

No GG, the chili was never completely chilled.

So I'm probably good with the cheeses? Good. I have six packages of cheddar and nine of the cream cheese I saved because they were never opened, but I've already tossed the blue cheeses and parmesan in the trash. Obviously everything in the door was luke warm and the other cheese was in the door.