"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Fishing & prep question?

Ok folks here's the deal.

I'm going to go fishing in a river that sposininly dirty and murky and mucky, Anyways some day don't eat the fish you catch out the river because of of it being dirty, I say horse pucky, I mean if you clean it well, you cook it well, You should be able to be Ok.

Does everyone agree or disagree?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sorry I disagree..You know the old saying you are what you eat? Think about what those fish are eating...YUK. double YUK
kadesma

Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I'm sorry I disagree..You know the old saying you are what you eat? Think about what those fish are eating...YUK. double YUK
kadesma
You really think so?

Or should I just ask the local fisherman?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Cooking well is unlikely to help if fish contains chemical or other contaminants.
Skinning may help.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Ok folks here's the deal.

I'm going to go fishing in a river that sposininly dirty and murky and mucky, Anyways some day don't eat the fish you catch out the river because of of it being dirty, I say horse pucky, I mean if you clean it well, you cook it well, You should be able to be Ok.

Does everyone agree or disagree?
Dirty, murky and mucky as in silted? No problema. You should see some of the old blackwater rivers and swamps in the South. And rivers get silted every year as a matter of course. People eat fish out of there all the time.

Dirty as in polluted? Well, metals and many pesticides concentrate in tissues more the higher up the food chain you are, so they'll kill you quicker than they will the fish if you eat enough of them over time. No washing will take those off and cooking doesn't help, they're part of the package now.

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef
I mean if you clean it well, you cook it well, You should be able to be Ok.....Does everyone agree or disagree?
Disagree!!! --- Cleaning (scaling/skinning) and cooking does not remove contaminants from fish who live in a contaminated environment. The contaminants can/may become part of/integrated into the flesh of the fish. If you eat the flesh you are ingesting those contaminants into your body!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef
I'm going to go fishing in a river that sposininly dirty and murky and mucky,

What does this mean? .... Around here rivers, creeks and bayous can get pretty "funky" in the hot/dry summer months...This has no real ill effects on the consumption of the fish...If you are referring to chemical (dirty, murky, mucky) contamination ... Then do not consume the fish!

Suggest you listen to, and follow the advice of the "locals" as well as the State/Federal Wildlife Department in your area about consuming fish from this river....

Good Luck!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Head Chef

Your Department of Natural Resources probably has a list of rivers that are unsafe to fish in. Some rivers have mercury/PCBs and fish from those rivers shouldn't be eaten at all, or there may be warnings about how many times a week someone should eat those fish.

Some of those chemicals are particularly bad for children and expectant moms.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Head Chef

Yeah, I'd check with the state Wildlife dept and see what they say.
The creek I walk my dogs in/by has signs warning fishers to only eat 1 fish a week
from the creek, due to PCBs or something.
Kinda sad.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Senior Cook

First thing is to check with your department of wildlife to check on any consumption advisories.

I fish for catfish in a river here that seems to turn into a mudflow and thicken as the year goes on. Just joking but it is really muddy. If your fish taste muddy it may be that they are not being cleaned properly. You have to make sure that they are skinned and that you cut the "mud vein" out. The mud vein is any meat that appears yellow. This is actually the fat storage for the fish and is often the culprit when fish taste muddy. I have had fish that I cut very little meat away, and some fish that I loose 4-6 oz of meat. You have to be sure to cut this away.

I have a fish fry every year for about 30 people. I never get complaints about off flavors. Virtually every fish I serve comes from that river.

P.S. Another reason to cut away the fat is this it where many contaminates might be stored in the fish.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Master Chef

i wouldn't try it, myself. muddy-waters fish taste like mud smells, in my humble opinion.