"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Master Chef

Creative, such is life. It probably won't make you sick, but the key word is "probably".

All I needed was one hard lesson to make me much safer than sorry.

My mantra is always......"when in doubt, throw it out".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Creative, people have different tolerances. I would likely eat this stew and suffer no effects. Others might become ill. You need to decide what's best for you. If you get 10 more responses and 1/2 say eat it and half say don't. I doubt it's going to make your decision any easier ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Thanks but it would seem that I have had the situation solved, i.e. with GG's reply.
Oh no. You do realize that isn't how it works on DC, right?

First, someone will answer your question. Then several others will come along and say more or less the same thing. Then there will be the dissenting opinion, followed by at least a page and a half of bickering. After some time, Addie will chime in with an off topic anecdotal story involving Pooh and a pirate (or some such), and how EVERYONE in New England leaves their chowder out overnight.

Things may or may not ever swing back to the original topic at this point. But never fear, because some eight or nine years in the future, it will all be dredged up again by a DC newcomer who didn't see the date on the thread and assumes you are still waiting for an answer.

That's how we roll here at DC, so please play along!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If it has been covered and has previously been boiling I would eat it, it was basically almost sterile at that point. Now if people had been digging into it with who knows what utensil and taking the cover on and off, I'd chuck it. And as got garlic said, I'd bring it to a good boil for a while.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Oh no. You do realize that isn't how it works on DC, right?

First, someone will answer your question. Then several others will come along and say more or less the same thing. Then there will be the dissenting opinion, followed by at least a page and a half of bickering. After some time, Addie will chime in with an off topic anecdotal story involving Pooh and a pirate (or some such), and how EVERYONE in New England leaves their chowder out overnight.

Things may or may not ever swing back to the original topic at this point. But never fear, because some eight or nine years in the future, it will all be dredged up again by a DC newcomer who didn't see the date on the thread and assumes you are still waiting for an answer.

That's how we roll here at DC, so please play along!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Help - Food Left Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

+1!! Hilarious, Steve!!

(BTW, I'd eat it after bringing to a boil and simmering too.)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Actually I don't think we can answer the question with the information available. How big is the pot of stew? How much time passed before you "woke up"? 2 hours? Sure we would eat it. 12 hours, ignored, not stirred to speed cooling? Maybe not. If I'm cooling a pot of something to later refrigerate, stew, beans, soup, I stir it once in awhile to speed the cooling process. The center of that blob of food cools slower and needs to be stirred out to the edges to cool faster.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Master Chef

I've adapted a cooling method I learned here. I keep a bottle of water in the freezer, and add it to the pot when I want to cool something quickly. It works like a charm. You could do the same thing with a zip lock bag filled with ice cubes.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies. I did try to give all relevant info but I see even more details might be required.

It is a large pot, no I didn't stir it. I made it around 7.30 p.m. and it was still cooling after 9 p.m, i.e. still not cool enough to go into fridge. (Sometimes I put the pan in a sink of water...didn't feel it was necessary). I woke up next day around 9 a.m. to find it still in the kitchen; so I chilled it immediately in the fridge. As mentioned, the stew is predominantly veg eked out with some stewing steak, i.e. the meat is not the dominant factor in it.

Yes, I should realise this is not a scientific analysis and that there will be many different replies. I am going to go with my instinct on this one (based on some of the replies here) and dare to eat it! Don't like the idea of boiling it though since it toughens the meat. Will bring it to a boil and then simmer for a while.

If you don't hear from me again, nice knowing you!
Ha! I should be OK since I have a fairly robust constitution, i.e. am rarely ill (famous last words!)
Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like a plan!

Tags
food