"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
Head Chef

Food Left Out, Spoilage concern

Please advise! I forgot to put the freshly made pot of stew in the fridge last night. I woke up and found it still sitting in the cool kitchen (I was waiting for it to cool down). Of course I immediately placed it in the fridge. (I have a fridge thermometer and so my fridge is always kept at the right temp). It is just some cooked stewing steak (beef) with lots of cooked veg in a thick gravy.

I have lost my sense of smell so am a bit nervous about detecting whether it will be safe to heat up today. I think it should be OK as the meat has been cooked.

Do members think it will be safe to heat up and eat this evening?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Was the pot covered? If it was, then it's unlikely that any bacteria got into it after it was cooked. I would eat it, but I would bring it to a boil and simmer it for at least 10 minutes first.

My uncle sailed around the world on a sailboat without refrigeration. My aunt made large pots of soup regularly and treated them this way with no ill effects for each of them. They also used mayo with no refrigeration. Well, that's what preservatives are for, right?

Btw, in the future, I would suggest posting questions in the appropriate forum, like Food Safety, rather than a general off-topic forum like this one. You're more likely to get answers sooner if people see the question in a thread title.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Was the pot covered? If it was, then it's unlikely that any bacteria got into it after it was cooked. I would eat it, but I would bring it to a boil and simmer it for at least 10 minutes first.

My uncle sailed around the world on a sailboat without refrigeration. My aunt made large pots of soup regularly and treated them this way with no ill effects for each of them. They also used mayo with no refrigeration. Well, that's what preservatives are for, right?

Btw, in the future, I would suggest posting questions in the appropriate forum, like Food Safety, rather than a general off-topic forum like this one. You're more likely to get answers sooner if people see the question in a thread title.
Thanks for your reply. Yes the pot was covered so I guess it is OK to eat then.

I posted it here since it came under what I did. I wondered about posting it elsewhere but it seems that this thread is more active.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes the pot was covered so I guess it is OK to eat then.

I posted it here since it came under what I did. I wondered about posting it elsewhere but it seems that this thread is more active.
I suppose you could look at it that way I''m not sure how others use the forum - I thought we had a thread on that, but I can't find it - but I always check the New Posts link first to see what has been posted since my last visit. So a new thread titled "Is my soup safe to eat?" in the Food Safety forum would catch my attention before new posts in the "What are you doing?" forum, which I think of as benign and don't read first. Diff'rent strokes and all that
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've moved this to the Food Safety Forum.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've moved this to the Food Safety Forum.
You're so good!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I do my best...time to go torment my patients with my rude sense of humor
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks but it would seem that I have had the situation solved, i.e. with GG's reply. Unless others' opinions may differ I suppose?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Master Chef

I was so sick with food poisoning once, that I was hospitalized with IV's for three days. There's no way in the world I'd eat that soup, nor would I give it to my dog. What you do is your choice.

The next time you leave something out to cool, set your timer.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Head Chef

Oh...now I am confused. 2 conflicting replies.

Tags
food