For how long can I store meat in the refrigerator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnaCooking

Assistant Cook
Im thinking in buy right now some meat, and store it en the refrigerator for about 1 week, then i'll cook it, but i'm not really sure about how long the meat can be stored.

Thank you!

And - the TEMPERATURE makes a big difference, too! The food safety guidelines say that if the temp is 36ºF - 40ºF ... ground meat should only be held 1-2 days before use, solid cuts like streaks and roasts for 2-4 days.

I would throw the meat into the freezer for 3-4 days and then defrost overnight in the refrigerator when ready to use.

I wouldn't keep meat in the fridge for a week. I do as Michael suggests. If I forget to take it out early enough, or something comes up and I decide I need some frozen meat quickly, I defrost it in the microwave on the autodefrost setting but 100g less than the packet says it weighs (ie 500g chunk of meat I would program it for 400g) to prevent it over defrosting and beginning to cook. The last little bit doesn't take long to defrost then.

I agree with all above, most pkgs. have use by dates but depending on how fresh the meat is will determine that. Two days is max for me, then the smell and feel test, any sticky or off smell - pitch !

3 days for anything you are going to cook to well done, except ground meat. All others are two days max. And someone mentioned temperature: anything significantly above 4 degrees Celcius or 39 degrees Fahrenheit will reduce that to 1 day (for any type of meat).

Arrgh ... knew I would think of something else ....

If the meat is vacuum packed in cryovack - that I might leave (have left) for a week in the refrigerator. But, in the usualy plastic trays wrapped in plastic - I'll stick with my previous statements.

It depends, and I hate answers like that.

I willl take a thick steak or a roast and leave it to dry in the fridge for four days or so.

It is wonderful.

But grind it into hamburger and it should be used within a day or so.

The difference is that the bugs, OK germs, are on the surface of the slab of meat. When you cook it they are killed. When they grind meat the germs are mixed into a place they can multiply ad libitum. And they do. So always cook ground meat shortly after buying.

With chicken all that I have said is wrong. The evisceration process leaves too many nasty bugs about. One or two days at the max in the fridge.

I am usually the person on this forum who says use it.

But putting a plastic wrapped piece of meat in the fridge for a week - well it is just not going to work.

Back
Top Bottom