Kitchen grease removal... this worked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneoffour

Senior Cook
Boy was it a mess. The top of the cabinets above the counter has been where we left on display some larger decorative bowls, a bean pot, soup terrine, a vase and a large trifle bowl. Got the trifle bowl down to make the dessert for the christmas party. That was when I saw how thick the kitchen gunk was with dust tacked into it. Gummy as old fly paper. Looked like the last time it was cleaned Moses was visiting.

Today with a step ladder and a pump bottle of Greased Lightning I got every top of all the cabinets spotless. This stuff was from Lowes in a gallon jug and I don' think I used more than three pints to do the job. It worked well and didn't harm the cherry wood. I rinsed as I moved the ladder. Took maybe two hours but they are clean. Put down some foil and set the suff back up in place. Hope the foil can just be trashed when it gets greased up and I won't have to go through this again.

I use Greased Lightening on the toughest jobs too. Dh even used lots of it when he was rebuilding one of his tractors. It does work!

Never tried the product before but I certainly will NOW after your two, ringing endorsements! Plus, if I can get it at Lowe's I can browse to my heart's content...love that store! Drive DH crazy...he wants to get in/get out, I want to look at every possible "toy".:)

When we were having our kitchen remodeled last year, we discussed replacing our cabinets and the contractor told us we didn't have to. He said he would make them look like new.

After touching up the scratches, he cleaned the cabinets with Simple Green then polished them with Liquid Gold. Now people see our kitchen and think we have new cabinets.

I use Krud Kutter for grease and it works wonders. It even took out some black grease my son got on his chef coat cleaning the grill hood at the restaurant. Never tried Greased Lighting.

I always want to ask what works to clean the grease off the cabinets. Our house is seven years old and we have never washed the cabinets down, didn't need to. Well wasn't able to spot the problem anyways and now I can. I am totally going to have hubby give the Greased Lightning a try! Thanks.

Angdeer I bought the gallon jug and it is ready to use in a spray bottle. I lucked out by having an old spray head in the garage that happend to fit an EverClear water bottle. Well the real bonus was the spray head wasn't a standarded mist to stream but it foamed it out like it was suds it used less and clung more. Guess it may have been from a bathroom cleaning bottle or scrubbing bubbles .... you get the idea. I cut some blue sham wows into smaller sheets and gave one a work out. It cleaned out under the faucet. I doubt an old cotton rag would have released the grease. When I was in Lowes I bought a big wallpaper paste removal sponge and cut it in half. This was great as it could hold greased lightning or the gunk and rinsed out clean. The sponge has a scoure side of nylon wool that really helped in the corners and on the thich spots. Used a shamwow piece and cold water to rise as a cabinet was done. Must of changed that rise water six times!

So often so called grease cleaners just don't do the job, but it looks like there are a few products that actually work. Thanks to each of you for sharing this information. After all it is so much cheaper to clean than replace.

Hi jabbur,
I either heard of it or have seen Krud Kutter at the store. Does the lable say to wear gloves and goggles?

I LOVE GREASED LIGHTNING! It really is some amazing stuff! It works well on laundry stains too. DH is a truck driver and gets fifth-wheel grease on his clothes sometimes...I wipe off what I can and spray it with greased lighting before sticking it in the washer...comes out clean every time!

Another great product is Dawn Power Disslover! Works great at cleaning up burnt on grease off of pots and pans. Just spray it on and let it sit for a couple of hours and most of it will wipe right off.

Hi Mama,
Yes there was another post in this thread about Dawn Power Disolver being great. Another post was that it didn't work too well for them. Got me wondering since it is apply and soak. The catch maybe the water so I was wondering do you have hard or soft water? I am guessing a lot of hard minerals in the water might reduce the kick of DPD.

I use DPD all the time. I can't always find it around here and had to order it online last time.

I have soft water. Andy, I get mine at Wal-Mart. They put it in with the dish detergent on the top shelf.

Greased lighning didn't take off the permanent black magic marker line on the side of the counter top. Goo Off had it gone in seconds. Not sure what is in it think it is a trichloroethyline or a methlethyl ketone(forgive spelling). Not something to use near an open flame but the marker stain is gone.

I'm going to find some of this Greased Lightning. Like most, I have kitchen cabinets that only come up to a foot below my ceiling, and I do use it for platters and such that I don't use every day. Add to this the fact that it is an old home and it seems cobwebs just grow and take on a life of their own, those places get dust/cobweb/grease like you wouldn't believe. Plus, I'm not a neatnick (although some of my friends would disagree) and only clean up there when I really, really, really have to (in other words ummm ... can't remember when last did it). I keep swearing that I'm one day going to have a custom kitchen and the cabinets will go all the way to the ceiling!

Thank you all :) for your shared ideas, it helps me learned more than what i know :)......

Claire I like your idea for a custom kitchen with cabinets to the ceiling. Now I ask you why why why should it have to be custom? Do kitchen designers not know what happens in a kitchen? Who thinks grease won't condense on a surface near a stove? MDW needs a step stool to reach the top shelf anyway so it isn't as if they didn't go higher as it would be to much of a reach for anyone. It would be a great spot to store seasonal or seldom used items. The only reason things get displayed up there is due to the fact they stopped short of the ceiling with the cabinets. Oh well things are the way they are.

Back
Top Bottom