"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lite Corn Syrup-Shelf Life

I have a name-brand unopened bottle of corn syrup that has no expiration date listed. I can't remember when it was purchased, maybe as long as a year ago, but I've kept it stored in my pantry which is cool and dark. Do you think it's still good or should I just toss it and get a new bottle?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef

IMO, as long as it's unopened, and you don't see anything like mold growing inside it, it's safe.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

It is still good. You will haver no problem. I aslways have corn syrup for long periods even after opening. I've never experienced a problem.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

My mom use to keep corn syrup for years, three, four, five, and it never seemed to go bad. She only used it once a year for cookies.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
My mom use to keep corn syrup for years, three, four, five, and it never seemed to go bad. .
Same here. I'm sure it's still fine.

But just a side note for the future, Sassy, when in doubt, get someone you don't like very much to taste it.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I was wondering the same thing at Thanksgiving, when I went to make pecan pie. I still had a bottle of corn syrup left from last Thanksgiving. It had turned a bit yellow. I went to the Karo website, and it said something about corn syrup storing indefinitely, and that it would yellow with time. I'm sure your corn syrup is just fine, mine was, and it made a yummy pecan pie.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

If this makes you feel any better .... my DIL was making a pecan pie for Thanksgiving and was out of corn syrup and called to see if I had any (I live across the street and the nearest store is over 2 miles away) ... anyway, my granddaughter came over and picked up the 1/4 bottle I had and DIL used it to make 2 pies ... which were enjoyed by 6 children and 8 adults - nobody got sick. I originally bought and opened that bottle in Oct/Nov of 1994 - and just stored it in the cabinet.

When they say this stuff stores indefinitely - they mean it!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Amen, it lasts forever.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Nothing to add to the shelf life of corn syrup conversation.

Michael's mention of Pecan pie reminded me of some pecans I found in my mothers freezer when she passed away in 2005. I brought them to my house not paying any attention to the date. Before Thanksgiving I was rummaging around in one of my freezers and ran across them...The date 11-28-96 from trees behind my house. That's 11 years old! They were doubled bagged in gallon freezer bags. I was totally amazed they tasted fine. No freezer taste, no rancid taste and were "fresh" tasting. I made a pecan pie out of some of them at Thanksgiving.....Delicious!! I'm not recommending storing Pecans for 11 years....but I do highly recommend when you have time to read the threads in the New Forum...Food and Kitchen Saftey .. There is some great information there!!!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Same for molasses it seems to last forever as well.