"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Thanks for sticking up for the kid, but they were his roaches. I had lent him a dresser and bedframe, and when I picked them up, the dresser had cockroaches inside. I didn't bring the furniture in until I had disinfected every surface. (I didn't even bring it up on the porch--I left it in the back of the truck till I was done.)

Dropping everything in the Mojave sounds effective, but inefficient.

I have had an occasional roach in the past--I think they come in with the dog food, or bags of potatoes and onions--but this was 5 little ones, so I think they had just hatched out.
You're not gonna want to hear this but here goes: Is it possible that, since you had roaches in the past, you could have loaned your son the furniture with roach eggs already in the dresser and bedframe? Roaches lay thousands of eggs and since you really don't see the roaches by day, YOU could have given your son the roaches. Sorry, but it is possible. Roaches have nothing to do with cleanliness so don't think it's anyone's fault. The only problem is that if you have food laying around, crumbs on the floor, any food anywhere, they will have something to eat and stay. They bring in other roaches and they lay eggs. Fact of life.

(Could this be another blog? )

Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Head Chef

The south seems to be "Blessed" with an abundance of these creeatures. When we first moved to our house (20 years ago) it was overrun with roaches. We heard about a non-toxic product on Paul Harvey called "Roach Pruf" (yes it's spelled right). Anyway, we put it out after we thoroughly cleaned the house and left it alone. The came back about 15 years later and we put it out again. Haven't seen any since. The only place I know that sells it is ACE hardware and some True Value Hardware stores. It comes in a black and yellow can and is pretty cheap. The stuff is AMAZING!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I am soooooooooooooo glad there are no cockroaches here! (Just ants in great numbers).

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i haven't ever had them in calif. am sure they are here though. just lucky.
when a teen ager we lived in florida. now those are cock roaches. i remember my mom putting a coat of wax in drawer and on floors. supposedly had bug killer in it. they were still so bad, if u got up in the night , would turn on bathroom light and wait for the scurrying to stop . then you could go in, with out stepping on them. yuck
Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I'm just glad I've never had to deal with any of these fellows. Sounds horrible. I guess its way too cold up here in Canada for them to survive the winter. One time my daughter and her friend visited Jamacia for a week and on her arrival home I had her put all her luggage in the back shed for a day and a night. It was winter and I was living in Northern Ontario at the time and the temperature was -15 to -25 F.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

just don't move to Houston, TX.......we grow everything big here...........there's a reason the cowboys wear boots......my mother used to send us to the basement with hammers......will share some of my Texas A&M college education with you........you know how roaches can creep and remain close to walls and then disappear? they flatten themselves out......well watch next time then and stop screaming........they can't hear you anyway.........it's called thigmoidtropism.......look it up.........if I had to learn it so can you............this is how they've survived 10 bizzillion years.......
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #17
Head Chef

Hmmm, I wonder what the feeling will be when the earth shifts again and the new Equator runs through the middle of Canada? An interesting thought.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
Master Chef

really.........is that the new thinking, McNerd..........? haven't heard that theory.........but with today's economics who knows.............Really????
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
just don't move to Houston, TX.......we grow everything big here...........there's a reason the cowboys wear boots......my mother used to send us to the basement with hammers......
Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
Master Chef

Spray. Trust me on this.