Oh, gag - cockroaches!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
really.........is that the new thinking, McNerd..........? haven't heard that theory.........but with today's economics who knows.............Really????
Recorded history and known cycle we go through. Just takes some research. Has nothing to do with today's economics. Has to do with our planet, solar system, and our universe.

With all the animals I have and the different times they eat, I only wonder what comes out at night? I try, try, and try to keep crumbs off the floor and anyplace else but if the dogs don't drop something, someone else does! I am sorry but my house is not immaculate although growing up with houseful of people and their friends, I do not get too shocked when I see something 'running' , as long as it is 'smaller' than me. I can usually smash it one way or another.

Well, now I made myself wonder if I should get up several times to make sure there aren't more than I think. One thing, we do spray periodically. I don't like to spray but having all this traffic I could never keep it as clean as it should be.

I wish you luck in getting rid of them. They have been around for long time. Makes me believe most people are not too worried about getting rid of them.

cockroaches can survive just about anything. i'm surprised thje mojave desert thing worked.

my first job in nyc was for the associated press, in the bottom floor of the paramount building on 50th and broadway. it was 5 floors below ground, a level or two below a nearby subway line, in a porrly lit, dank and dismal room. think of joe's office in "joe v.s. the volcano".
a few of us used to keep squirt guns full of denatured alcohol on our desks (it was supposed to be used for cleaning the ink off of teletype machines and printers). when we'd work quietly on something long enough, invariably a few gigantic roaches would come scurrying out. we'd grab our water guns and douse the buggers, then toss a match on them and watch them burn. of course, we'd always planned to let one live to go back to tell the others. even with most of their appendages burned off, they'd not only survive but still try to drag themselves off under a dark shelf, i'm guessing where they had set up a tiny burn unit...

you're too funny and I'm laughing MAO........I can just see the roaches limping out of the bu..rn...unit, look Ma.........no legs......Houston and Florida roaches would have drunk the alcohol and burped.............and asked for more....and bought a round for their friends..............

LOL - Bucky!

Yeah, I wish our roaches would run and hide when they heard the vibrations of our feet scuffling down the hall - or when the lights come on. The ones I've seen just look up and scoul when I turn the light on. However, I do get a kick out of it when one crawls into the microwave and goes off like a megaton "bug zapper" on the 4th of July.

I didn't have a problem with roaches until the landlords of the houses on both sides of me did a major "fumigation" when the previous tenents moved out.

Yeap - the roach motel is the way to go .... traps the little beasties without sprays.

we had a cat named Kitty (yep original) and when the people downstairs moved out he went on "Roach Squad" every night cause the roaches came to our aptmt.......the exterminator commented with a shake of the head that he had never seen such a filthy aptmt and infestation problem...not one single roach got by "Roach Squad".......he killed our first Christmas tree by jumping through it to get to the moth on the wall behind it.......he got the moth....... all we got were broken ornaments......and a dead tree on the floor...but we were mothless

by the way for your entertainment and the yech factor......roaches have been known to live weeks after they've lost their heads........who does this kind of research????

With all the animals I have and the different times they eat, I only wonder what comes out at night? I try, try, and try to keep crumbs off the floor and anyplace else but if the dogs don't drop something, someone else does! I am sorry but my house is not immaculate although growing up with houseful of people and their friends, I do not get too shocked when I see something 'running' , as long as it is 'smaller' than me. I can usually smash it one way or another.

Well, now I made myself wonder if I should get up several times to make sure there aren't more than I think. One thing, we do spray periodically. I don't like to spray but having all this traffic I could never keep it as clean as it should be.

I wish you luck in getting rid of them. They have been around for long time. Makes me believe most people are not too worried about getting rid of them.

I know they're not cockroaches but you should try having raccoons come and visit at night........the adore dry catfood......and yes, true to what you've heard......they leave one filthy water bowl behind....as they must clean the food first..........

At least this thread keeps me from thinking about the neighbors I have that I cannot do something about. (They do remind me of a pest that doesn't want to go away!) When you describe what happens when you do manage to affect them, gives me a small indication of some satisfaction. (raccoons are so cute but really their habits are not to be desired) buckytom and Michael W, thanks for describing your experience with these 'things'. I do so enjoy reading them! Keep on keepin' on!

Oh, stay well and have good Thanksgiving without thinking of who is waiting for leftovers!

Drama Queen, I haven't had roaches here in this house, apart from one or two that shook loose from a bag of potatoes or onions. And they were big waterbug roaches, not these little, quick German cockroaches. (I do have plenty of brown recluses, however. But I will take those over cockroaches any day.)

You know those houses they show on TV once in while, with piles of garbage, pizza boxes, soda cans, dirty laundry a foot thick on the floor? THAT was how the kid lived, in an apartment complex that probably had its share of roaches before he ever started creating Roach Utopia.

When I was in college, in Southern Illinois, I lived for a while in house that had been a typical single family dwelling, 2 bedrooms up, two on the main floor, with a full basement. The landlord converted it into two apartments upstairs, the main floor held us four girls, and the basement had 3 students living in it.

Needless to say, the whole place crawled with roaches, no matter how often the landlord came around with his sprayer--they were entombed in the frost in the freezer, in the oven, behind the curtains--eeeechhh.

On a brighter note, I have put the little roach traps out everywhere, and have only seen one roach since, and it was not very lively. I hope the problem is solved.

Here's a piece of roach trivia to impress people at your next cocktail party: a roach can live for nine days without it's head. Thier brains are closer to their rear ends.

Hey, come to think of it, I know some people who would be able to survive for nine days......;)

I guess I would rather have roaches than raccoons, too. Raccoons kill my chickens, and worse than that, they half kill them, and then I have to finish the job. Coons also carry rabies, and roundworms, which burrow their way thru human bodies, ending up encysted in in the eye or the brain.

Raccoons kill your chickens and only half way? How horrible! Like some kind of horror movie. I feel sorry for you when you have to finish the job. Now I don't think they are so cute. What is the idea that they don't finish the job? Oh, I won't forget this. I agree with you, I'll stick with the cockroaches. Unless they are known to eat things only half way. Thanks for letting me know about this. When I see them as roadkill I won't feel so bad. Maybe someone saved a chicken!

never stop learning something new.

I had a raccoon in the chicken house that killed 5 or 6 chickens one night, and badly injured a couple more--those are the ones I had to finish off. Not what you want to be doing first thing in the morning. :(

I had no idea......but they are meat eaters so it stands to reason.......my cats' food is chicken based and the cats are smart enough to take off when they have visitors for dinner......I'm glad but I do make sure that they are up on their rabies shots......you're right I'll take the smart, industrial-strength cockroach anyday.......by the way for those of you who enjoy funny books there was one (maybe out of print by now) entitled "Nobody Loves a Cockroach" ---absolutely hilarious.......nonfiction and about different facts about insects and wee beasties that we share this planet with........the funniest to me was the fact that spiders can get stomach aches and will stagger to the edge of their webs and toss their cookies......I know.......stop partying.............

When I lived in town we had a few visits from a momma coon and 5 babies but we had a big problem with skunks visiting at night during the summer when the windows were open. The neighbors dogs would bark at the skunks and they would express their feelings while running through our yard.

I will take a coon or roach any time over a skunk.

just don't move to Houston, TX.......we grow everything big here...........there's a reason the cowboys wear boots......my mother used to send us to the basement with hammers......will share some of my Texas A&M college education with you........you know how roaches can creep and remain close to walls and then disappear? they flatten themselves out......well watch next time then and stop screaming........they can't hear you anyway.........it's called thigmoidtropism.......look it up.........if I had to learn it so can you............this is how they've survived 10 bizzillion years.......

OMG I lived in H-Town they do grow some BIG roaches down there.... and they FLY... FLY...... so your an Agiie EX-Pat?.... im an Owl!

The OP cracked me up I can just imagine my parents... my mom is a immacualte old world bleach the house daily clean freak.... she makes policy to avoid he childrens homes at all costs.... never would even come in the door of a college dorm.... She's getting my dogs this weekend and has been on a military mission to protect her house..... They would totally blame roaches on me if I moved in...

Here in the hood of North Philly the roaches pretty much run things... they are everywhere outside at night... I have been pretty effective about keeping them out of my house but when I bought it WOW..... I cant even describe some of the things I found when I tore down walls ICK.... just imagine a shower leaking into a 130 year old wall next to a kitchen... ROACH PARADISE! Shower and wall both now gone!

Hi, Panchohambre..........
Oh, yeah, they sure can fly and land on you as well......yech factor and order the uhaul, Gladys..........yep, I'm an Aggie.......wanted my daughter to become an Owl, too, but she became a "Sage Hen" at Pomona College, in CA ............. I was "forced" to take an entomology course while at A&M and surprisingly it ended up being one of my favorite classes..........I can just imagine what wee beasties you found behind your walls............my mother who was from Philly HATED bugs...........

Back
Top Bottom