Six Stitches from Food Processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we should all buy ourselves those cut-proof gloves and wear them everytime we are in the kitchen. No, reading these responses I think most of us should wear them everywhere, even in the bathroom!

Chad

I totally sympathize with the thumb injury: I cut my thumb badly 4 years ago washing a coffee pot that broke in my hands. Only three stitches, but deep, and apparently damaged more than was originally thought because I still don't have all the feeling or motion or strength.

I developed new safety habits since then that have done me well:

1. No knives or blades to be left in soapy water. If you cannot see it, it can cut you.
2. No glass left in water at all, since you cannot always see it -- especially broken pieces at the bottom.
3. Don't go into the kitchen on a Friday the 13th. Yes, that was when it happened :(

However, the clutz gene is strong on my side of the family, and I have since then burned myself in some really stupid ways. As I refuse to give up cooking, my only new rule is to not let anyone else in the kitchen at the same time ;). Which is something I wanted anyway!

Six Stitches from Food Processor? Would have preferred getting the stitches from a doctor. (Believe me ... I tried almost everything I could not to say that! :LOL::LOL::LOL:)

Actually - I know how serious those thumb cuts can be. My Dad was using some new funky technique he saw on TV to carve the turkey at Thanksgiving one year and cut into his thumb ... he cut a tendon and had to have 3 surgeries - and never got more than about 60% range-of-motion back ... and it always hurt him when he bumped it, and he could never grip things the same way again.

I'm just glad you didn't damage yourself that much!

People don't realize that these blades are REALLY sharp - and they do not get dull like kinves because the are not being drug across a cutting board.
I was shocked when I got an immersion blender last year and saw how incredibly sharp the blades are. I had envisioned letting the kids make themselves smoothies with it but I actually keep it in a clear box on the top shelf! Way too sharp for a kid to use. I have noticed how sharp the blades are on the new food processor so I may have to hide that, too!

I recently somehow managed to chop half the nail off one of my fingers using a blunt blade. I have no idea how I managed that one!

I know what you all are talking about--and when a sharp blade or glass cuts into your skin it's like a slow-mo reaction---you see the wound, see the blood spurting or pouring forth (no pain yet) you're slowly taking it all in and then you realize it's really happening---you've been an idiot!!!

I don't have enough posts to post URLs. If you go to askthemeatman.com and look for cut resistant gloves you'll find what I'm talking about. You could also Google.

Chad

:) I have had many good cuts but I did once have an incident with a mandoline. Totally creeped me out and I dont want to talk about it.:LOL::LOL:

I almost had a hairy situation with my mandoline, good thing the blade wasn't sharp. Since then, I've made a point of always using the holder.

Maybe I should just stay out of the kitchen.

Chad

Thanks, Chad and Katie, I'll certainly get a pair when I'm in the states which will be in May. I can order them ahead of time on the internet. Keep posting, Chad, and you'll have enough URLS in no time.

I'm a disaster in the kitchen. I've dropped knives, grated my hands a few times, spilt stuff all over the place, etc... . Nevermind a hand-proof thing for the kitchen, get me a whole body suit and make sure nobody is around. I'll still probably break something.

Hm.. let's see what I've done in the kitchen at least a few times...

- Dropped countless knives into my feet
- Burnt my hands on water
- Shredded part of my hand on a cheese grater (was more of a dare than anything else)
- Burnt my hands when putting stuff in or taking stuff out of an oven
- Leaving a metal spatula/spoon around the element when it's red hot then being clever and grabbing it.
- Pinched by a lobster (put the stupid thing in water and it climbed out)
- Cut my hands numerous times when slicing something
- Moving around too quickly and knocking a sauce over I've made onto the floor. While I'm trying to shove the dog out of the way and clean it, something burns.

That's about it I think of right now.

Last edited:
- Burnt my hands when putting stuff in or taking stuff out of an oven.

I've done that. I pulled a cast iron skillet out of the oven and while taking it to the counter the heat started really going through the towel. It took me a few seconds to get it somewhere to set down and buy the time I did I had a nice third degree burn on my palm.

I had forgotten all about that until now. Thanks ;)

Chad

I've done that. I pulled a cast iron skillet out of the oven and while taking it to the counter the heat started really going through the towel. It took me a few seconds to get it somewhere to set down and buy the time I did I had a nice third degree burn on my palm.

I had forgotten all about that until now. Thanks ;)

Chad

Haha, I've done that a few times. Also, being my clumsy self, when taking stuff in or out, my hand wasn't always covered by all of the towel so it came into contact with the nice metal grill of the oven set at around 450.

I've also gotten burnt by pizza. It was in the oven and I opened it to see if it was ready. I'm too lazy and don't have the skills to make pizza from scatch, so it was a pre-made pizza. Anyways, I wanted to see if it was done so I grabbed part of the crust and got a nice burn.

Ah, the wonders of the kitchen ...

Thanks for sharing your experience so that we don't make a similar mistake, what a shame. Hope you heal fast and the stitches don't keep you out of the kitchen too long. Maybe you will get out of doing dishes!

Chad I feel your pain because I cut my thumb on my food processor on the 8th of feb. and just now using it real good. I cut mine on the disk slicer.:rolleyes: I think that was the first time I have ever got cut on one of those after all these yrs.So we never get to the point you can't get cut or hurt in the kitchen. My cut was on the very end and I couldn't stand to hit it on anything. I was afraid I might have nerve damage, because it still does not feel completely normal. Anyway hope your feeling better.

Well, Inferno, we must have been related in another lifetime. I've done all those things, too. It's a wonder we are still intact. If you haven't already, try dropping an unopened "glass" bottle of cooking oil onto a hard kitchen floor and watch how much fun your afternoon is. Had to pull out the oven and the fridge as most of oil ran that way. Luckily I jumped out of the way and didn't get cut......

Well, Inferno, we must have been related in another lifetime. I've done all those things, too. It's a wonder we are still intact. If you haven't already, try dropping an unopened "glass" bottle of cooking oil onto a hard kitchen floor and watch how much fun your afternoon is. Had to pull out the oven and the fridge as most of oil ran that way. Luckily I jumped out of the way and didn't get cut......

Had that happen yesterday, although it didn't go under the oven and fridge just all over the floor of sundried tomatoes soaked in infused sunflower oil. To add to the list, yesterday I tripped over my dog. For once, no food fell! Instead, some plates and bowls shattered over the ground.

I thought that it had been long enough so tonight I decided to make humus again. After I made it I took Andy M's advice and partially filled the work bowl with water and sent the blade a spinning. Everything got real clean and I didn't need anymore stitches!

Chad

Back
Top Bottom