"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #21
Cook

I think we should all buy ourselves those cut-proof gloves and wear them everytime we are in the kitchen. No, reading these responses I think most of us should wear them everywhere, even in the bathroom!

Chad

Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
Senior Cook

I totally sympathize with the thumb injury: I cut my thumb badly 4 years ago washing a coffee pot that broke in my hands. Only three stitches, but deep, and apparently damaged more than was originally thought because I still don't have all the feeling or motion or strength.

I developed new safety habits since then that have done me well:

1. No knives or blades to be left in soapy water. If you cannot see it, it can cut you.
2. No glass left in water at all, since you cannot always see it -- especially broken pieces at the bottom.
3. Don't go into the kitchen on a Friday the 13th. Yes, that was when it happened :(

However, the clutz gene is strong on my side of the family, and I have since then burned myself in some really stupid ways. As I refuse to give up cooking, my only new rule is to not let anyone else in the kitchen at the same time . Which is something I wanted anyway!

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Six Stitches from Food Processor? Would have preferred getting the stitches from a doctor. (Believe me ... I tried almost everything I could not to say that! )

Actually - I know how serious those thumb cuts can be. My Dad was using some new funky technique he saw on TV to carve the turkey at Thanksgiving one year and cut into his thumb ... he cut a tendon and had to have 3 surgeries - and never got more than about 60% range-of-motion back ... and it always hurt him when he bumped it, and he could never grip things the same way again.

I'm just glad you didn't damage yourself that much!

People don't realize that these blades are REALLY sharp - and they do not get dull like kinves because the are not being drug across a cutting board.
I was shocked when I got an immersion blender last year and saw how incredibly sharp the blades are. I had envisioned letting the kids make themselves smoothies with it but I actually keep it in a clear box on the top shelf! Way too sharp for a kid to use. I have noticed how sharp the blades are on the new food processor so I may have to hide that, too!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I recently somehow managed to chop half the nail off one of my fingers using a blunt blade. I have no idea how I managed that one!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #25
Master Chef

I know what you all are talking about--and when a sharp blade or glass cuts into your skin it's like a slow-mo reaction---you see the wound, see the blood spurting or pouring forth (no pain yet) you're slowly taking it all in and then you realize it's really happening---you've been an idiot!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
I think we should all buy ourselves those cut-proof gloves and wear them everytime we are in the kitchen. No, reading these responses I think most of us should wear them everywhere, even in the bathroom!

Chad
Where do we buy these gloves, seriously!! And what name do they go by?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #27
Cook

I don't have enough posts to post URLs. If you go to askthemeatman.com and look for cut resistant gloves you'll find what I'm talking about. You could also Google.

Chad
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Where do we buy these gloves, seriously!! And what name do they go by?
I have a safety glove, expat, and use it when I use my mandoline. Just Google "kevlar safety gloves." You'll come up with lots of hits. I can't remember where I purchased mine. It came from a restaurant supply place, though.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I have had many good cuts but I did once have an incident with a mandoline. Totally creeped me out and I dont want to talk about it.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #30
Cook

I almost had a hairy situation with my mandoline, good thing the blade wasn't sharp. Since then, I've made a point of always using the holder.

Maybe I should just stay out of the kitchen.

Chad