"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Cream also will get grainy if frozen.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

unless you get a good brand (Breakstones, Daisy, etc) or get a fat-free you can get grainy ones, but their fine that way, just a strange texture. only time i've hit grainy stuff with Breakstones is with their Fat-Free.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have to go along with jpmcgrew - the most plausible answer is that somewhere during transport or storage the sour cream got frozen. The two primary reasons for not freezing sour cream are that it will get runny and/or grainy.

This would not affect safety - just quality.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I have to go along with jpmcgrew - the most plausible answer is that somewhere during transport or storage the sour cream got frozen. The two primary reasons for not freezing sour cream are that it will get runny and/or grainy.

This would not affect safety - just quality.
Thank You Micheal, this has been my experience with sour cream ,cream and even milk. I dont think any company would try to sell grainy sour cream because no one would buy it. By the way I do not appreciate grainy sour cream for any reason.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I agree that it's not really anything to worry about. I find the same thing happens with Greek yogurt-- even though I always buy the same brand. Sometimes it's perfectly smooth and wonderful, and other times (most times, actually) it's just a bit grainy.

When it comes to fermented milk products, I'm sorta with Caine. If it doesn't have something growing on it, I'll eat it, even if it's expired. My dad used to eat 3-month-expired yogurt, saying it only got creamier and tastier as it sat. So I guess that's where I got it. Not that I'd recommend such reckless behavior to everybody... :)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

I checked the expiration date on it and it's just coming up now. I guess it's either the processing or it could have been frozen somewhere along the way. (In my climate, it's often below 32į F.
There is no runniness to it, just grainy. It smells good and except for the texture, it tastes good too. Thank you all for your input. I'm curious enough to buy this brand again in a few months just to see if it was a one time thing. ~Bliss
Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Just got some grainy Sour Cream. I think it must have been frozen, as I noticed the traces of cream on the tamper seal looked to have a freeze pattern in it, but I still googled to make sure things were safe.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I make my own sour cream/creme fraiche. It's very easy and quite good but not as sour as the grocery store variety. Here's how:

1 cup heavy cream, preferably not ultra-pasturized
1 or 2 tablespoons cultured buttermilk

Pour cream into a sterilized mason jar. Microwave for 20-30 seconds to warm it slightly. Add buttermilk, stir and cover. Let it sit out at room temperature for 24 to 36 hours, until it thickens. Stir well and refrigerate.

"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote