"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

GB....LOL!!!!!!! Soapy salad...complete with bubbles!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
have ya Tried Boiled Salad before? YUCK!
Well if it's anything like you boil brats......

Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If the salad is contaminated then washing will not do anything other than spread the contamination unless you use soap. Somehow soapy salad just does not sounds tasty
What about lemon or orange flavored dish soap?
The grease cutters might even clean out the system!

But seriously, yea throw it away. I hate it when this happens, done it many times myself and the one time I 'risked it' I spent several days sick in bed!
Yick!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If the salad is contaminated then washing will not do anything other than spread the contamination unless you use soap. Somehow soapy salad just does not sounds tasty
Devil's advocate question:
How do we know that of any produce we buy? Has it been contaminated or not before we use it for the first time? I just had tomatoes tonight on my tacos, so they were eaten uncooked. I did not use soap to wash them off, a quick rinse under cold water was all they received.
So, would I have been better off not rinsing them at all, just in case?
At least in YT's case it was "fresh" uncooked chicken as the possible contaminant. Which is probably why he asked in the first place...

Enquiring minds want to know
Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Rinsing food under water does nothing more then get rid of dust and other solids that may be on the food. It does absolutely nothing for getting rid of germs or other nasties like that.

There have been many cases of produce that was mishandled and then packaged and people got sick from it. The people that got sick very possibly washed it first. That did nothing to keep them from getting sick.

Chicken can carry salmonella. If that comes in contact with something that goes into your mouth then you can get very sick.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
YT, if you eat it, let us know of the science projects you do after, you are a very verbal guinea pig.

i doubt you want to be your own test subject on this one.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, GB. That was exactly my point.

Improperly "washing" does nothing at all, except for maybe spreading contaminates like you said. So why bother? Who here washes their veggies in SOAP and water? Anyone???
And while chicken may carry salmonella, it doesn't always. Just like a raw egg may or may not.

I know it's been discussed here before about what has been acceptable in the past and what is actually correct nowadays, or even moreso in restaurants, in the preparation of food, but I think a quick rinse will get rid of surface contaminants. I had a butcher tell me that before, also. I doubted him at the time. Now I'm not so sure.
My veggies shall see no soap, scented or otherwise
Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I wash and rub or scrub all vegetables before I use them. I may not be getting rid of e.coli (sp?) or salmonella but I think I'm getting rid of the dirt and anything nasty that could have been on the hands that touched them before I bought them..I even rinse mushrooms. I rinse the heck out of chicken before i cook it. Some of the chefs on TV gross me out the way they clean veggies, esp Rachel Ray.
I dont use soap
Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I never use soap when cleaning food, as soap (even trace amounts) can lead to diahrea and vomiting at least as bad as some of the food poisonings.

I had to take a Food Safe course once for a job I was doing, and one of the things they spoke of aside from germs was contamination from chemicals. There were some rules of thumb that were hammered home:

1. Never store cleaners or other non-food items above foods. If they leak, you don't want them getting into the food.

2. Never store anything but food in a container that originally stored food. That way no one can mistakenly eat something deadly, thinking it was food simply because of the package.

3. If you store any chemical in a container other than its original package, label it clearly on all sides as poisonous, or at least non-edible.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
well it`s a good job I don`t cook food in the Lab then!

(well other than the odd beaker of coffee over the bunsen or that single malt in the Volumetric Flask I keep stashed away)

anyway, I decided against eating any of it, I couldn`t even compost it because of the salad dressing.

I felt kinda bad throwing it away almost guilty, but then I saw it from the Chickens point of view, and I didn`t feel so bad then

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote